Wisconsin Supplementary Teaching License in Gifted and Talented (1013)

This license is an add-on to any Wisconsin teaching license and is valid at the same developmental level. The table below presents a typical rotation for those individuals seeking the license - note that some courses are offered through UW-Whitewater and some through UW-Stevens Point. Courses do not need to be taken in this exact order. However, some courses are offered only once a year. Please refer to the official course schedule for the most up-to-date schedule.

To apply for the program leading to the gifted teacher license, click here. You may enroll in the Foundations course without applying to the full licensure program.

Typical Course Rotation

Semester Course Location
Summer 1 EDUC 791 - Foundations of Gifted and Talented Education Hybrid through UW - Stevens Point
Fall 1 EDFOUND 782 - Psychological Issues in Gifted Education Hybrid through UW - Whitewater
Spring 1 EDUC 792 - Curriculum Methods for Teaching Students with Gifts and Talents Online through UW - Stevens Point
Summer 2 or Fall 2  EDUC 795 - Practicum in Teaching Students with Gifts and Talents Hybrid through UW - Stevens Point*

*Also offered as independent study by UWSP during the academic year

Wisconsin Program Coordinator License in Gifted and Talented (5013)

This license is under the Administration category in PI 34 (developmental level EC-A) and is intended for those who are interested in working with gifted programming and services at a district level. The program leading to this license includes the same three core courses as the gifted teacher licensure program, but also requires a program coordinator course with embedded practicum. That course (EDFOUND 785) will typically be offered in the summer as a hybrid course through UW-Whitewater.
NOTE: pupil services personnel (school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers) are eligible for the gifted program coordinator license, but not the gifted teacher license. Teachers and administrators may apply for both licenses if they so choose. For more information, contact the UWW program coordinators.
To apply, follow the application process through UWSP (see link above) but state that you will be applying for the Coordinator license in addition to (or instead of) the GT teacher license.