- College of Education & Professional Studies
- College of Education & Professional Studies Faculty and Staff Resources
- COEPS Curriculum Committee
- COEPS Curriculm Committee Agenda and Minutes
Minutes April 9, 2013
Minutes April 9, 2013
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL STUDIES
(UNDERGRADUATE) CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
MINUTES OF APRIL 9, 2013
- Roll - Present: Dr. Melanie Agnew, Chair; Dr. Penny Portman; Dr. Jennifer Peterson; Ms. Tracy Arneson-Baker; Dr. Brooke Winchell; John Zbikowski; Dr. Scott Bradley; Dr. Todd Loushine. Absent: SFC David Shono and Jillian Smith. Guests: Dr. Tamas Szabo, Dr. Carmen Rivers and Dean Katy Heyning.
- Approval of agenda: On a Dr. Zbikowski/Dr. Penny Portman motion, discussion regarding curriculum vitaes and special studies and workshops was added to the agenda.
- Approval of minutes from March 12, 2013. On a Dr. Penny Portman/Dr. Brooke Winchell motion, the minutes of the March 12, 2013 meeting were approved as written.
- Curricular/Action Items:
Title Change, EDUINDP323, Exploration of Issues in Early Childhood Education
On a Dr. Zbikowski/Dr. Portman motion, the above proposal was returned to the sponsor for clarification.
Title Change, EDUINDP332, Application of Issues in Early Childhood Education
On a Dr. Zbikowski/Dr. Portman motion, the above proposal was be returned to the sponsor for clarification.
GEOGRAPHY AND GEOLOGY
Deletion of Submajor, BSE, Social Studies Broadfield Geography II Emphasis
On a Dr. Zbikowski/Dr. Portman motion, the above proposal was accepted with minor editorial changes.
LANGUAGE AND LITERATURES
Change in Major, BSE, English Education
On a Dr. Zbikowski/Dr. Peterson motion, the above proposal was accepted with minor editorial changes.
MATH AND COMPUTER
Change in Major, BSE, Mathematics, Secondary Education Emphasis
On a Dr. Zbikowski/Dr. Peterson motion, the above proposal was accepted.
Change in Major, BSE, Political Science Education
On a Dr. Bradley/Dr. Peterson, the above proposal was accepted with minor editorial changes.
- Information Items:
- Dr. Agnew told the committee that Dean Heyning would be the chair of this committee in the fall semester since Dr. Agnew is beginning her tenure and will be teaching, among her other responsibilities. She asked the members of this committee if they could meet on Thursday mornings at 8:00 a.m. rather than on Tuesday mornings. It was the consensus of the committee that Thursday morning would be fine.
- It is strongly encouraged that the sponsor of a proposal follow their proposal through the College Curriculum Committee and the University Curriculum Committee until it has been passed. The sponsor is in the best position to respond to questions concerning their proposal and in expediting the approval process.
- New Business
Dr. Portman addressd the fact that Dr. Cook wants a curriculum vitae from anyone who is going to teach a workshop or special studies course. It was suggested that the Associate Vice Chancellor send this information to department chairs.Realizing that curriculum is under the purview of faculty governance, the College of Education and Professional Studies Curriculum Committee states that the department in consultation with the Dean shall decide the best person to teach any course within the department including all special courses (e.g., special studies, workshops).Dean Heyning said someone with experience may teach the workshop but the instructor of record must be someone with a Master's Degree.
Dr. Zbikowski said he would like the subject of who is going to teach workshops and special studies brought up at the next Graduate Programs Council.
- Old Business: None
On a Dr. Portman/Dr. Zbikowski motion, the meeting adjourned at 8:50.