COEPS Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meeting
March 13, 2014
1. Present: Katy Heyning, Chair; Todd Loushine; John Zbikowski; Tracy Arneson-Baker; Jillian Smith; Jenni Petersen, Scott Bradley; Jeff Cook and Brook Winchell. Absent: Penny Portman, MAJ Carl Meredith and Allison Hodorowicz. Guest: Alvaro Taveira
2. On a Zbikowski/Bradley motion, the agenda was approved.
3. The minutes of the December 12, 2013 were approved by acclamation.
4. Curricular/Action Items:
OCCUPATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY & HEALTH
Form#4R SAFETY420, Principles of Environmental Management, pre-req change
Form#4R SAFETY388, Occupational Safety and Health Standards and Applications, pre-req change
Form#4R SAFETY479 Principles & Methods of Industrial Hygiene, pre-req change
Form#4R SAFETY481, Analysis and Design for Safety in Industrial Operations,
Form#4R SAFETY483, Occupational Safety Management, pre-req change
Form#4R SAFETY492, Fieldwork Internship in Safety, pre-req change
Form#2, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY, Change in Minor
On a Zbikowski/Loushine motion all of the above proposals were accepted with the exception of SAFETY420 which needs minor editorial changes.
5. Information items: Move OSEH Department programs from COEPS to COBE.
6. New business: Todd Loushine said at the University Curriculum Committee it was brought up that Greg Cook is studying credits to graduate in all programs.
Tracy mentioned that most of our education majors require more than the minimum 120 credits to graduate i.e. Elementary Education whose 4 year graduation plan notes 135 credits and Early Childhood Education whose 4 year graduate plan notes 148 credits.
Alvaro said a Task Force has been formed and is moving slowly. It has been suggested that every program on campus have a capstone experience.
7. Old business: none
Tracy asked what curricular action needed to be taken for changing PI34 requirements. A curriculum proposal can be done by administrative action through any department. Tracy will follow up on this.
Jillian circulated a document with the new language for the diversity course based on a UW System document. The new title is U.S. Racial/Ethnic Diversity. Discussion ensued. Katy suggested this be addressed at Admin Council also.
On a Petersen/Winchell motion, the meeting adjourned at 8:35 a.m.