College of Education & Professional Studies

Contact Us

Office: Winther Hall Information Desk window (main floor lobby)
Hours: 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday
Phone: (262) 472-1101


The College of Education and Professional Studies' goal is to assist you in obtaining your initial Wisconsin teacher's license. The licensure information provided here lists the requirements for an initial teacher's license that the State of Wisconsin and UW-Whitewater have established for your program. In addition to these requirements, you must also satisfy UW-Whitewater requirements for proficiency and general studies, academic majors, minors, and other degree requirements if you do not possess a baccalaureate degree. These requirements are published in the UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Catalog.Students seeking initial licensure must also complete requirements for Admssion to Professional Education. (Students seeking licensure as a School Business Manager, School Psychologist, Speech and Language Pathologist, or in Counselor Education must follow separate admission policies).  

The following licensure programs are available at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. For available licensure programs at the graduate level, consult the Graduate Catalog.

DPI Developmental Level
Licensure Areas
Dual Licensure: Regular & Special Education

Early Childhood (EC)

(Approximate Ages: Birth-8 years old)

Regular and Special Education in community childcare facilities, birth-to-three programs, Head Start, Preschool, Four and Five-Year-Old Kindergarten, Grades 1-3
Regular Education Licensure

Middle Childhood through Early Adolescence (MC-EA) 

(Approximate Ages: 6-12 or 13 years old)

"Elementary/Middle Education"

  • Grades 1-8: all subjects in a self-contained elementary school
  • Grades 7-8: language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, health and/or licensable minor subject in a departmentalized middle school
  • Grade 9: Licensable minor subject in a departmentalized middle school

*Completion of a minor is required for this program*

Early Adolescence through Adolescence (EA-A)

(Approximate Ages: 10-21 years old)

"Secondary Education"

Content area courses in departmentalized middle and senior high schools (grades 6-12) in the following areas:

Biology, Broadfield Social Studies, Chemistry, Communication, Computer Science, Dance, Earth Science, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, Geography, History, Journalism, Mathematics, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology

Early Childhood through Adolescence (EC-A)

(Appoximate Ages: Birth-21 years old)

Content area courses in public schools (all ages) in the following areas:

Athletic Coaching, Art, Bilingual/Bicultural, Business, English as a Second Language, French, German, Library Media, Marketing, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, Theatre Licensure is also available in Reading, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Counseling, and School Psychology at the graduate level.

Special Education Licensure

Middle Childhood through Early Adolescence (MC-EA) AND Early Adolescence through Adolescence (EA-A)

(Approximate Ages: 6-21 Years Old)

Special Education in elementary, middle, and high schools (approximately grades 1-12).

Students choose an emphasis in either Cognitive Disabilities orLearning Disabilities/Emotional Behavioral Disorders.

The Advising Licensure Coordinators listed below are for students who are formally admitted to Professional Education and/or for students who already hold a bachelor's degree. 

Freshmen or sophomores not yet admitted to Professional Education should contact the Winther Hall Information Desk ( or 262-472-1101) to be referred to the appropriate advisor.

Advising Assistance and Admission to Professional Education
Winther Hall Information Desk
Phone: (262) 472-1101

Graduation and Teacher Licensure Information
Jillian Smith, Certifying Officer
Winther Hall, Room 2036
Phone: (262) 472-1059

Early Childhood: Regular & Special Education (Dual Licensure)
Early Childhood (Birth-8 years old)

Brooke Winchell

(262) 472-5809 WH 4038
ECE4U - Online program for ECE
Associate's Degree Transfer students
Anne Tillett (262) 472-1833 WH 4034
For licensed teachers:
Add-on Early Childhood Special Education (1809)
Add-on Early Childhood Regular Education (1777)

Dept of Special Ed
Lucy Heimer

(262) 472-1106
(262) 472-5802

WH 5033
WH 4039
Elementary Education      
Elementary/Middle Yao Fu (262) 472-5213
WH 3035
 Secondary Education      
Art Kristen Monday (262) 472-1830 WH 4050
Bilingual Education Julie Minikel-Lacocque (262) 472-5800 WH 3039
Business and Marketing Education Denise Roseland (262) 472-1831 WH 4045
Computer Science Denise Roseland (262) 472-1831 WH 4045
Driver Education Robin Fox (262) 472-5821 WH 2039
English Anne Tillett (262) 472-1833 WH 4034
English as a Second Language Melanie Schneider (262) 472-5439 WH 3042
Math Wade Tillett (262) 472-1078 WH 3050
Music Alena Holmes (262) 472-1217 CA 2006
Physical Education Jay Cameron (262) 472-1649 WC 138
   - Health (minor/licensure only) Logan Edwards (262) 472-1374 WC 123
   - Adaptive PE (licensure only) Kathleen Happel (262) 472-1390 WC 127M
   - Coaching Kelly Witte (262) 472-5650 WC 126W
Science Liesl Gapinski (262) 472-1190 WH 4046
Social Studies James Hartwick (262) 472-5815 Winther Hall
Theatre Bruce Cohen CA
World (Foreign) Language Jenna Cushing-Leubner (262) 472-2198 WH 3039
 Special Education      
Undergraduate CC-ID Barbara Hilliker (262) 472-5376
Undergraduate CC-EBD/LD Barbara Hilliker (262) 472-5376
Graduate MSE CC & LD Shannon Stuart (262) 472-4877 WH 5042
Early Childhood: EEN (Master's Program Only) Naomi Rahn (262) 472-1106 Winther Hall
SPECED4U-online program for Special Education Sharon Kolb (262) 472-4831 WH 5041
 Specialized Areas      
Alternative Education (graduate only) Anne Stinson (262) 472-1973 WH 3049
Communication Sciences & Disorders (MS) Lynn Gilbertson (262) 472-5202 RS 1014
Counselor Education (graduate only) Jennifer Betters-Bubon (262) 472-1886 WH 6039
Educational Administration Program
(graduate only-in cooperation with UW-Madison)
Dennis Pauli

(262) 472-4891

WH 4051

Gifted and Talented Program Coordinator (graduate only) Pamela Clinkenbeard (262) 472-5432 WH 6045
Library Media Sarah Beth Nelson (262) 472-2837 WH 6035
Reading May Vang (262) 472-1382 WH 3041
School Business Management (graduate only) Karla Saeger (262) 472-5475
School Psychology (graduate only) Christine Neddenriep (262) 472-1850 LT 1229

For more information about education, please visit Admission to Professional Education

How to apply for a Teacher, Pupil Services, or Administration License                      (full-licensure)

Instructions for September 1, 2004 - August 2021 Program Completers

Step 1:  Please submit the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) UWW Application Form to

Step 2:  Check here to see if you are required to submit fingerprints to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI).

Step 3:  Check your email approximately one to four weeks after you complete your program (or complete Step 1 - whichever comes later), looking for an email from Jillian Smith, UWW Certifying Officer.  The email will confirm that your endorsement for licensure has been submitted to the DPI. 

Step 4:  After you receive the confirmation email from the UWW Certifying Officer you may begin the DPI ELO application process.  Please note:  Step 1 and Step 3 MUST occur before the DPI ELO system will be ready for you. 

Additional Information:

  • DPI will require UWW to upload your name into ELO before you will be able to submit your license application.
  • In order for UWW to submit your name to ELO, you will need to have completed Step 1 (see above), have your final grades in, your degree posted (if applicable), passed any required content exams, and/or met the minimum 3.0 content GPA for your specific licensure area (if applicable).
  • You may view your unofficial transcript in WINS if you would like to track when your grades have been posted and to see when your Bachelor's degree has been posted.  EVERYTHING must be posted before your name will be submitted to DPI.
  • If all your ducks are in a row, DPI estimates you should be able to complete the online application in approximately 40 minutes.  
  • DPI will require a $125 credit card payment (no PINS are accepted).
  • Once you are applying on DPI's ELO website, if you encounter problems please contact DPI.
  • To check on the status of your application at DPI once your license application has been submitted by you online, use the ELO Public Search at the Department of Public Instruction.

Note:  Temporary or emergency licenses require an entirely different license application process.  Please check with your employer or DPI for additional information regarding alternative pathways to licensure.

DPI Licensure Codes

To find out your licensure codes for the State of Wisconsin, use the DPI website.  Find the appropriate major and/or minor and choose the content code.


      1. Research out-of-state requirements before applying for positions out of Wisconsin. Contact the Department of Education in the state you wish to seek employment.
      2. If the out-of-state application form requires an instituional endorsement, you may email the form to:
      3. Once the out-of-state application form has been signed, the application will be emailed or mailed to the person or office the instructions on the form say to return the form to.
      4. If you are applying for both your Wisconsin license and an out-of-state license, submit both applications together.  They will be processed together which will decrease your wait time.


US Department of Education
Career Services