The Department of Career Services at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is seeking a Business Career Advisor.
The Business Career Advisor has three primary responsibilities; 1) to serve as a career advisor to students enrolled in the College of Business and Economics (CoBE) Master and Bachelor degree programs, 2) to develop and maintain positive, working relationships with employers in order to enhance their recruitment of UW-Whitewater students and graduates, and 3) to serve as an instructor for a required Career Information course.
· Master’s degree completed by December 2022. (MBA or MSE preferred, others acceptable)
· Experience (employment, assistantship, internship, etc.) working with college students in an advisory or supervisory role.
· Experience in career advising in an academic setting or human resources, recruiting, or talent acquisition in a corporate setting is preferred.
· Experience teaching academic courses desirable.
· Effective presentation/public speaking skills.
· Knowledge of corporate culture, and how to prepare new employees to succeed in the corporate environment.
· A service orientation; willingness to help individuals and groups.
· Will be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Willingness and ability to be an active participant in the following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training drills
· Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide direct assistance to students enrolled in all on-campus and online Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) majors and Master’s programs. Meet individually with undergraduate and graduate students as needed to assist with their internship and job searches.
2. Serve as an instructor for BEINDP 288 – Career Information. This class is required of all undergraduate majors in the College of Business and Economics.
3. Assist with annual programs including the CoBE Professional Development Program and “Career Week” events.
4. Serve as part of the Career Services team to assist in university-wide employer relations efforts including career fair planning and the Career Services sponsorship program.
5. Create and maintain professional networks including memberships in various professional associations and networking groups such as the Wisconsin Association of Colleges and Employers, NACE and other relevant organizations.
6. Build and maintain relationships with CoBE faculty, department chairs, administration and other key stakeholders.
7. Give outreach presentations to classes and student organizations as requested.
8. Attend Career Services staff meetings, and various other University, College, and Divisional committees as required.
9. Complete other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Business & Economics, the Director of Career Services, and the Business Career Services Manager.
Founded in 1868, UW–Whitewater is one of eleven comprehensive universities in a public higher education system that also includes two doctoral institutions and a statewide Extension. UW-Whitewater’s main campus is located in Whitewater, with a branch campus in Rock County, in the city of Janesville. Together, these campuses form a preeminent academic institution driven by the pursuit of knowledge, powered by a spirit of innovation, and focused on transforming lives. UW-Whitewater’s campuses are located conveniently near Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago, and thus offer the advantage of beautiful small-town environments with easy access to the cultural and commercial opportunities of major metropolitan areas.
The Warhawk family — led by caring faculty and staff — is devoted to student success within a broad range of academic programs offered at the associate, bachelor, master, and doctoral levels. These include both on-campus and online programs, and span the disciplines, from the theoretical to the applied, and encompass study in the arts, business, education, humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, technology, and professional and interdisciplinary programs.
UW-Whitewater has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the nation. The campuses have more than 200 student organizations and UW-Whitewater’s intercollegiate athletic teams compete at the NCAA Division-III level. UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 13-campus University of Wisconsin System (https://www.wisconsin.edu).
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
Per Regent Policy Document 20-19, University of Wisconsin System Criminal Background Check Policy and UW System Administrative Policy 1275 Recruitment Policies, UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment. All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Well-qualified candidates can expect a starting annual salary within a range of $44,000 – $49,000.
UW System employees receive an excellent benefit package. To learn more about the UW System’s comprehensive benefit package, review the UW System Employee Benefits Brochure.
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources. UW-Whitewater is not an e-verify employer, therefore STEM extensions are not options for work authorization.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by Sunday, July 24, 2022, will be given priority however applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment or if you are unable to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at (262) 472-1072 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Only complete application packages will be considered. This includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 18513.
Application Link: click here and type in the Job ID: Application
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs