GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
December 5, 2013
PRESENT: Paul Adogamhe, Scott Bradley, John Chenoweth (for Paul Ambrose), Sang Choi, Jeff Cook, Shannon Cummins, Will Drago, John Frye, Michael Gueno, Carol Normand, Manuel Ossers, Matt Winden (for Denton Marks), Kelly Witte, John Zbikowski, Wenquan Zhang, and Jianzhou Zhu.
ABSENT: Marshall Anderson, Nick Bentz, Jessica Callaway, *Corey Davis, Colin De Mers, *Glenn Hayes, Sarah Hessenauer, *Kimberly Knesting-Lund, *Pete Mesner, Amber Moulton, Lopa Mukherjee, Kim Naber, Mark Schroeder, Lauren Smith, Shannon Stuart, Gautam Wadhwa, and *Ozgur Yavuzcetin.
GUEST: Ellen Latorraca
The December 5, 2013, meeting was called to order at 2:20 p.m. by Dean Stone.
Kelly Witte moved, with a second by Paul Adogamhe, to approve the minutes of the November 7, 2013 meeting. With no comments or corrections, the motion carried.
There were no formal announcements listed on the agenda, but John Stone did note that the latest spring 2014 enrollment report reveals that graduate enrollment is down approximately 100 FTE from one year ago.
Information Only Items
Manuel Ossers moved to approve items A-C on the on the agenda. Sang Choi seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- A. Curricular Action: Number Change from the Department of Economics: ECON 735 Research Methods and Data Handling FROM: ECON 735 TO: ECON 740
- B. Curricular Action: Course Title Change from the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders: COMDIS 681 FROM: Language Disorders in Children TO: Speech and Language Disorders in Children
- C. Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health: SAFETY 620 Principles of Environmental Management
John Zbikowski moved to approve item A on the agenda, a new course from the Ed Foundations Department. Scott Bradley seconded the motion. With no questions or concerns, the motion carried.
- A. Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Educational Foundations: EDFOUND 686 Curriculum Evaluation and Improvement I
Next, Will Drago moved to approve the change in major from the College of Business and Economics. Carol Normand seconded the motion. This proposal simply reflects the Economics course number change in the MBA program. The motion carried.
- B. Curricular Action: Change in Major from the Department of Economics: Reflect Number Change for ECON 740 Research Methods and Data Handling
John Frye then moved, with a second by Jianzhou Zhu, to approve items C-F on the agenda. These items include new courses and a new certificate program from the Department of Counselor Education. The motion was approved.
- C. Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Counselor Education: COUNSED 754: Addiction Concerns when Working with Children, Adolescents and Adults
- D. Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Counselor Education: COUNSED 755 Understanding and Addressing Crisis and Trauma
- E. Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Counselor Education: COUNSED 756 A Systems Primer for School and Higher Education Counselors
- F. Curricular Action: New Certificate from the Department of Counselor Education: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Finally, Manuel Ossers moved, with a second from John Zbikowski, to approve the policy change regarding the requirements for international students seeking admission into graduate programs. The motion carried unanimously.
With no further discussion, Sang Choi moved, with a second by Jeff Cook, to adjourn the meeting. The meeting adjourned at 2:35 p.m.