GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
|May 2, 2013|
Paul Adogamhe, James Bronson (for Will Drago), Chris Calvert-Minor, Sang Choi, Shannon Cummins, Sarah Hessenauer, Kimberly Knesting-Lund, Amber Moulton, Lopa Mukherjee, Carol Normand, Colin Rose, Amelia Tobias, John Zbikowski, Wenquan Zhang, and Jianzhou Zhu.
|ABSENT:||Paul Ambrose, *Marshall Anderson, Nick Bentz, Michelle Boyer, Scott Bradley, Jeff Cook, Corey Davis, Glenn Hayes, Thomas Jeffery, *Denton Marks, Pete Mesner, *Kim Naber, Manuel Ossers, Steven Sahyun, Mark Schroeder, Lauren Smith, Shannon Stuart, Gautam Wadhwa, and *Kelly Witte.|
The May 2, 2013, meeting was called to order at 2:20 p.m. by Dean John Stone.
James Bronson moved, with a second by Amelia Tobias, to approve the minutes of the April 4, 2013 meeting. With no comments or corrections, the motion carried.
- A copy of the revised Graduate Faculty Constitution, which was approved at the April Graduate Council meeting, was distributed with the agenda. The graduate faculty meeting, which was to be held on April 16, 2013, needed 73 faculty members for a quorum. Approximately forty graduate faculty members were in attendance, and the meeting could not convene due to the lack of a quorum. Hence, the revisions to the constitution could not be approved. The next meeting of the graduate faculty will be held after the Chancellor's address in August. (attached)
- To address the Higher Learning Commission's concerns regarding the lack of distinction between the graduate and undergraduate experience, questionnaires or surveys will be sent to all faculty in the next academic year. A report of the survey results will come before the Graduate Council. (attached)
- A summary of the graduate assistantship program evaluation was distributed to the council for their review. (attached)
- A draft copy of the 2013-14 curricular schedule was distributed.
Information Only Items
There were no information only items
James Bronson moved, with a second by Paul Adogamhe, to approve the two curriculum proposals from the College of Business and Economics. The motion carried
COLLEGE OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Management: MANGEMNT 741: Organizational Behavior
- Curricular Action: Change in Submajor in the MBA degree: Management Emphasis.
Next, John Zbikowski moved to approve items C and D on the agenda, two new courses from the Department of HPER&C. Sang Choi seconded the motion. With no discussion, the motion carried.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching: RECREATN 561 Recreation and Leisure for Special Populations
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching: RECREATN 623 Research and Evaluation in Recreation and Leisure Services
John Zbikowski moved to approve the revision in CIGENRL 550. Sarah Hessenauer seconded the motion. John indicated that this was simply an updating of the course. The motion carried.
- Curricular Action: Course Revision from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction: CIGENRL 550 Introduction to ESL and Bilingual-Bicultural Education
Amber Moulton moved, with a second by Colin Rose, to approve the two new courses from the department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences. With no questions or concerns, the motion carried.
Other Business Items
Addressing a clean-up item from the previous meeting, Colin Rose moved for approval of the creation of the DBA prefix. Lupa Mukherjee seconded the motion, which was unanimously approved.
With no further discussion, Sang Choi moved, with a second by John Zbikowski, to adjourn the meeting. The meeting adjourned at 2:44 p.m.