GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
May 1, 2014
PRESENT: Paul Adogamhe, Cindy Anderton (for Jeff Cook), Nick Bentz, Scott Bradley, John Chenoweth (for Jianzhou Zhu), Sang Choi, Corey Davis, Colin De Mers, Will Drago, Michael Gueno, Glenn Hayes, Sarah Hessenauer, Kimberly Knesting-Lund, Lopa Mukherjee, Kim Naber, Carol Normand, Manuel Ossers, Mark Schroeder, Shannon Stuart, Matthew Winden (for Denton Marks), Kelly Witte, Ozgur Yavuzcetin, and John Zbikowski.
ABSENT: Paul Ambrose, Marshall Anderson, Jessica Callaway, *Shannon Cummins, John Frye, *Pete Mesner, Amber Moulton, Lauren Smith, Gautam Wadhwa, and Wenquan Zhang.
GUEST: Jodi Hare, Carolyn Morgan and Diana Shull (for Carol Elsen)
The May 1, 2014, meeting was called to order at 2:18 p.m. by Dean John Stone. He noted that this would be the last meeting of the Graduate Council in which there would be a representative from each academic department. Starting in the fall of 2014, the new Graduate Council membership guidelines will be in effect. He thanked all the members for their service to this committee, and especially to Scott Bradley, who will be retiring at the end of this academic year. He has served on the Council for the last sixteen years.
Glenn Hayes moved, with a second by Corey Davis, to approve the minutes of the April 3, 2014 meeting. John Zbikowski noted one minor correction to the minutes. With no other questions or concerns, the minutes were approved.
- Jodi Hare presented a summary of the new 'F' grades that will be in effect for the fall 2014 term. The new grades are FX and NCX (for the student who never attended class), FS and NCS (for the student who stopped attending the class at any point during the semester). The regular 'F' grade will be assigned for the student who continued to attend class and "earned" the 'F' grade. These grades were created in response to the federal government's requirement for financial aid adjustments for those students who unofficially withdraw from all of their classes in a semester. Faculty will need to determine why a student received an 'F' grade, and assign the correct version of the 'F' grade.
Information Only Items
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Safety: SAFETY 752 Safety Communications
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Health Physical Education and Recreation: PEPROF 571 Kinesiology
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Health Physical Education and Recreation: PEPROF 616 Exercise Prescription and Leadership
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Educational Foundations: LIBMEDIA 551: Building Library Media Collections
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Psychology: PSYCH 624 Human Learning
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Psychology: PSYCH 640 Psychological Tests & Measurement
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Psychology: PSYCH 644 Principles of Behavior Modification
- Continuation of Inactive Courses approved:
|Subject Date and Course Number||Title|
|SocWork 501||Assertiveness Training|
|SocWork 502||Greif Management in the Helping Professions|
|SocWork 503||Managing Stress and Burnout in the Helping Professions|
|SocWork 537||Introduction to Social Gerontology|
|SocWork 541||Sexuality for Professional Growth|
Glenn Hayes moved to approve items A and B on the agenda, the two math courses. Mark Schroeder seconded the motion. After much discussion about the need for the course at the graduate-level, Will Drago moved, with a second by Manuel Ossers to table the two proposals. The motion to table was approved.
Next Kelly Witte moved, with a second by Carol Normand, to approve the new course from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. This course will provide more in-depth research in working in higher education. The motion carried.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction: HELEAD 781: Capstone Portfolio and Career Application
Kelly Witte again moved for approval of agenda items D, E, F, and G. Scott Bradley seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Health, Physical Education Recreation and Coaching: COACHING/PEPROF 779: Career and Professional Development Strategies
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Health, Physical Education Recreation and Coaching: COACHING/PEPROF 781: Capstone Portfolio and Career Application
- Curricular Action: Change in Major: MSE-Professional Development
- Curricular Action: Change in Major: MSE-Professional Development
Next, Manuel Ossers moved, with a second by Paul Adogamhe, to approve the submajor changes from the Counseling Department. The motion carried.
- Curricular Action: Change in Submajor: MS-Counseling - Higher Education
- Curricular Action: Change in Submajor: MS-Counseling School
Carol Normand, with a second by Sang Choi, moved to approve items J-L on the agenda. With not questions or concerns, the motion carried.
- Curricular Action: Change in Major from the Department of Accounting: MPA
- Curricular Action: New Certificate Program from the Department of Management: Graduate Project Management Certificate
- Curricular Action: Change in Human Resource Management Certificate Program
Mark Schroeder moved to approve the proposed separation of the Mathematics and Computer Science departments. The two departments will be the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Computer Science. Lopa Mukherjee seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Will Drago moved, with a second by Colin De Mers, to approve the GMAT waiver request. Motion carried.
Shannon Stuart moved, with a second by Sang Choi, to approve the Curricular Schedule for 2014-15. Motion carried.
John Zbikowski moved, with a second by Corey Davis, to approve the change in the curricular approval process. With the installation of CourseLeaf schedule for fall 2014, the graduate curricular approval process will mirror the undergraduate curricular approval process. The motion carried.
Shannon Stuart moved to approve the five-year academic calendar (2015-16 through 2019-20). Manuel Ossers seconded the motion. Jodi Hare explained that many areas, such as FP&M, Human Resources and Diversity, program planning, etc., need the information for planning purposes. The motion was approved.
Will Drago moved to approve the list of courses to be deleted as part of the course currency exercise. Corey Davis seconded the motion. Motion carred. Below is a list of courses in the currency of bulletin exercise. These courses have either not been offered in the last four years or, if offered, have had no enrollment in the last four years.
|ID||Description||Term Last Offered||Course|
|001055||Modern Art||Fall 2013||ARTHST 518|
|001091||Watercolor||Spring 2011||ARTSTDIO 524|
|001115||Electronic Illustration||Fall 2013||ARTSTDIO 585|
|010098||Adv Digital Photo||Fall 2013||ARTSTDIO 613|
|001169||Res in Studio Art||Spring 2014||ARTSTDIO 740|
|005887||Advanced Drawing||Fall 2013||ARTSTDIO 608|
|003549||Biology Colloquium||Spring 2001||BIOLOGY 590|
|003560||Plant Physiology||Spring 1984||BIOLOGY 517|
|009565||Art Excep Child||Spring 2011||CIGENRL 606|
|002165||Curr Topics In Inst||Summer 2005||CIGENRL 676|
|002173||Trnds in K-12 Engl||Summer 2006||CIGENRL 720|
|002179||Mng/Imp Inst Cmpt||Summer 2006||CIGENRL 735|
|002182||Microcmptr App Cls||Fall 2006||CIGENRL 752|
|002187||Adv Tech Tchng Mth||Summer 2003||CIGENRL 761|
|002189||Adv Tech Tchg SS||Summer 1999||CIGENRL 763|
|002196||Lgl Aspts Ed||Fall 1989||CIGENRL 772|
|002205||Org Theory & Adm||Spring 2003||CIGENRL 780|
|002361||Sem Comm Dis||Fall 2007||COMDIS 709|
|002469||Nut Hlth: Early Chld||Fall 2013||EARLYCHD 540|
|002471||Chldren's Lit||Summer 2009||EARLYCHD 561|
|002458||Chldrn at Risk||Fall 2000||EARLYCHD 717|
|009379||Curr Dev & Int||Spring 2008||EDADMIN 725|
|009382||Org Theory & Adm||Summer 2004||EDADMIN 780|
|009420||Lic Port Review||Winter 2006||EDUINDP 675|
|003943||Fiction Writing||Spring 2014||ENGLISH 575|
|003948||Prose Stylistics||Spring 2012||ENGLISH 578|
|003955||Mod Gram Theory||Spring 2012||ENGLISH 583|
|003959||Top in Linguistics||Spring 2011||ENGLISH 585|
|003984||Vict & Edward Lit||Spring 2013||ENGLISH 620|
|004002||Cur Writing Scene||Fall 2012||ENGLISH 677|
|009393||Assess ESL/BIL||Spring 2014||ESL 605|
|009403||Pedag Grammar||Spring 2012||ESL 530|
|009397||Sem ESL/BIL||Fall 2009||ESL 554|
|001242||Methods Comm Res||Fall 2009||JOURNLSM 785|
|009277||Database Mrktg||Fall 2009||MARKETNG 775|
|004590||Theory of Numbers||Spring 2007||MATH 617|
|004592||Topology||Spring 2001||MATH 631|
|004596||Math Stats||Spring 2008||MATH 642|
|004608||Part Diff Equations||Spring 2008||MATH 659|
|004612||Advanced Calc||Spring 2008||MATH 664|
|004916||Research Design||Fall 2008||PSYCH 615|
|002942||Dev Rdg Sec Schl||Summer 2006||Reading 768|
|003122||Prbl/Driver Ed||Summer 2013||SAFETY 661|
|009575||CC Field Work||Spring 2014||SPECFLD 585|
|009722||Ins Pract ECSE- B-3||Spring 2014||SPECFLD 793G|
|009588||Cognitiv Delay||Spring 2007||SPECFLD 685A|
|009590||Learn Disability||Spring 2007||SPECFLD 685B|
|009592||Emot/Beh Disorder||Spring 2007||SPECFLD 685C|
|009696||Student Teach Sem||Spring 2007||SPECED 670|
|005405||Womns' Voice/Lives||Spring 2014||WOMENST 503|
And finally, Carolyn Morgan presented preliminary findings on her project for the upcoming HLC visit. She has been busy determining the global learning outcomes at the graduate level, as well as documenting what makes the graduate experience unique from the undergraduate experience at UW-W. She will continue with the project through the summer and present a final report during the fall 2014 term.
With no further discussion, Scott Bradly, for one final time, moved to adjourn the meeting. Kelly Witte seconded the motion. The meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.