GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
|November 11, 0|
|PRESENT:||Patrick Bornbach, Scott Bradley, Chris Calvert-Minor, Pavan Chennamaneni, Sang Choi (for Alvaro Taveira), Will Drago, Glenn Hayes, Rashiqa Kamal, Michaela Mack, Pete Mesner, Carol Normand, Anene Okocha, Michael Oldani, Manuel Ossers, Zhengnan Shi, Mark Schroeder, Shannon Stuart, S-A Welch, Michael Wessely, Kelly Witte, and John Zbikowski.|
|ABSENT:||Paul Adogamhe, *Marshall Anderson, *John Chenoweth, Thomas Jeffery, Denton Marks, *Christine Neddenriep, Margaret Phillips, Tim Reutebuch, Steven Sahyun, Rebecca Shrum, *Ashley Smith, Lauren Smith, and Max White.|
|GUESTS:||Carol Elsen and Don Zahn|
Pinch hitting for Dean John Stone, who was busy attending an HLC training session in Chicago, Associate Dean Don Zahn called the first meeting of the academic year to order at 2:18 p.m. The minutes of the May 6, 2010 meeting were approved on a Manuel Ossers/Mark Schroeder motion.
This was the first meeting of the academic year, so the committee members each introduced themselves for the benefit of the new council members.
- The School of Graduate Studies has distributed approximately $5,200 for Graduate Research Grants through the fall application timeframe. An RFP for Graduate Research Grant monies for spring term 1 will be announced in January, contingent upon the availability of funding.
- A copy of the September 15th, 0, fall enrollment report was distributed with the agenda. The fall enrollment of 809 FTE exceeds the previous graduate enrollment record set in fall term of 1975, which was 751 FTE.
Paul Rybski moved to approve Information Only items A and B on the agenda. Will Drago seconded the motion. With no questions or concerns, the motion carried. Items included:
- Curricular Action: Prerequisite Change from the College of Education: EDUINDP 611 Implementation of Your Professional Development Plan
- Curricular Action: Prerequisite Change from the College of Education: EDUINDP 612 Verification of Your Professional Development Plan
- Curricular Action: Prerequisite Change from the Department of Counselor Education: COUNSED 752 Integrated Treatment
- Curricular Action: Prerequisite Change from the Department of Counselor Education: COUNSED 753 Understanding Psychopharmacology for Counselors
- Curricular Action: Prerequisite Change from the Department of IT/BE: ITBE 647: Information Systems for Business Teachers
The new business items were considered separately.
John Zbikowski moved, seconded by Scott Bradley, to approve the new course from the Department of Special Education. Shannon Stuart indicated that this course is part of the MSE-PD program and was developed to be delivered off-site for teachers asking for support on differentiation. With no discussion, the motion carried.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Special Education: SPECED 731 Differentiation in the Classroom
Next, Kelly Witte moved for approval of the new course from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Coaching. Glenn Hayes seconded the motion. Kelly explained that this dual-level course was created to be in compliance with the Healthy Youth Act that was passed in February of 0 as part of the certification process. With no further discussion, the motion passed.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Health, Physical Education Recreation and Coaching: HEALTHED 544: PreK-12 Sexuality Education
Finally, John Zbikowski moved for approval of the Change in Submajor in the MSE-PD-Reading program. Shannon Stuart seconded the motion. John Zbikowski stated that this change is merely to bring the emphasis up-to-date.
- Curricular Action: Change in Submajor: MSE-Professional Development – Reading
Anene Okocha moved, with a second by Pavan Chennamaneni, to adjourn the meeting at 2:27 p.m. The motion carried.