School of Graduate Studies Apply Now

Frequently Asked Questions

About Application and Admission to Graduate Programs

Can I apply online?

Yes. Go to

What is an official transcript?

A transcript with an official university seal that is in a sealed envelope from the university or sent electronically directly from the university.

Can I mail my official transcripts to you?

Only if the transcript is official (i.e., it has an official college/university seal) and is in a sealed envelope from the university.

What address do I mail the transcript to?

School of Graduate Studies
Roseman 2013
Whitewater, WI 53190

Can I have my undergraduate university/college fax you my official transcript?

No. Graduate School policy dictates that only transcripts with a university seal, delivered in a sealed envelope from the university or one sent electronically directly from the university, can be considered an "official" transcript.

I graduated from UW-Whitewater. Do I have to order an official transcript?

No. The School of Graduate Studies will order transcripts from the Registrar's Office for you.

I wish to change programs. Do I have to pay the $56 application fee and order official transcripts again?

No. The application fee is a one-time charge. The official transcripts are kept on file until a master's degree is completed.

What happens to my application once all of my materials are turned in to the School of Graduate Studies?

Once an application is complete (i.e., paid application fee, completed application, received official transcripts), the School of Graduate Studies makes a "School of Graduate Studies admission decision" (i.e., admit in "good standing" or admit "contingently") and forwards the material to the program coordinator for a "program-level" admission decision. Applicants are encouraged to contact the coordinator of the graduate program to determine if the program has received all of the application materials they require (i.e., letters of recommendation, test scores, etc.).

If I contact the School of Graduate Studies and they say my application file is "complete," what does that mean?

All of the materials required by the School of Graduate Studies (i.e., paid application fee, completed application, official transcripts) have been received, reviewed, and forwarded to the program coordinator for their admission decision.

What GPA do I need to be admitted in "good standing"?

At least, a 2.75 cumulative undergraduate grade point average; at least, a 2.90 cumulative undergraduate grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program; a master's degree or higher from an institution regionally accredited at the graduate-level; or to have completed, at least, 12 graduate-level credits at UW-Whitewater with a cumulative graduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher.

How long will it take to process my application?

After all the required application materials have been received, it normally takes one to two weeks for a student to be admitted. However, if programs with a set deadline (i.e., Counseling, Communication Sciences and Disorders, and School Psychology) are, typically, notified within the next month after their respective deadlines.

Can I transfer credits in to my degree program from a different university?

The School of Graduate Studies permits a maximum of twelve (12) graduate credits to be transferred in to a degree program from another university. They are to be equivalent to the UW-Whitewater courses and appropriate to the program. The term of the earliest course transferred to the program marks the beginning of the seven years permitted to complete the degree. ( Transfer Credit Form).

When can I register for classes?

After you have received an official letter of admission from the Office of Graduate Studies.

Once I'm admitted to a program, how long do I have to finish my degree?

Students have seven years in which to complete their degree program. The seven years are measured from the beginning of the term for which they are admitted at UW-Whitewater.  In the case of students transferring courses into their UW-W degree program, the seven years begins in the term of the first course to be included in the degree.  These include courses completed as a non-candidate for degree student or in a prior graduate program.

If I'm unable to finish my degree is seven (7) years, how do I get an extension of time?

Based upon good cause, students may request an extension of the seven year time limit. Such requests should be made in writing, should include the reasons for which the request is being made, and should be directed to the student's degree program coordinator.