School of Graduate Studies Apply Now
Graduate Studies Header

How to Register: UW-Madison


These procedures are used for UW-Madison classes taught at Madison AND Whitewater


Additional information for enrolling as a special student can be found here.

If you have not enrolled in the program you can take the class as a special student. The Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis at UW-Madison will accept a maximum of six (6) credits of special student course work toward the completion of any degree/certification program.

Contact the Office of Special and Guest Students here.

If more than 6 credits are required to complete the degree/license, students must enroll as a Graduate Student (see admissions).

Keep in mind that while UW-Madison does accept six (6) credit of special student course work into any of their programs, you also must meet the Graduate School requirement of a minimum of fifteen (15) graduate level credits (a total of 30 credits are required for a Master's degree) at UW-Madison for a Master's degree.

If you do not meet the minimum requirement, special student credits may be converted to graduate level credits and you would then pay the difference in tuition between special and graduate tuition.



If you are in the program and have taken a class the past semester at Madison you should register through MY UW-MADISON.



If you are admitted to the program and did not take a class last semester, you need to complete the reentry process.



Request Info