1. When should I file my income tax return?
2. What is GLACIER?
3. What is GLACIER Tax Prep?
GLACIER Tax Prep is a web-based tax return preparation system designed exclusively for foreign students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees, and their dependents to aid in preparing U.S. federal income tax forms (returns) 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ.
It is used during tax reporting season in the Spring for the previous fiscal year to reconcile tax liability with taxes withheld. For example, any income received during 2013 will be reported in the Spring of 2014. Please direct GLACIER Tax Prep-usage questions to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. I did not work this year. Do I need to file anything?
5. I worked on- or off-campus this year. Must I file an income tax return?
6. What should I put in item #10 on the 8843 that asks for me to contact information for my "academic or other specialized program?"
7. What is the difference between the 1040NR and the 1040NREZ?
The 1040NR is a longer, more detailed tax form, totaling five pages, which can be used by any non-resident. The 1040NREZ is a simplified version of the same form, which can be completed by non-residents who meet certain requirements. Just remember EZ stands for “easy” or a less-detailed form.
Many UW - Whitewater students can file the 1040NREZ. See the 1040NR instructions for more information.
8. Do I need a Social Security Number to file a return?
9. What is a tax treaty?
Currently the U.S. has tax treaties or agreements with approximately 40 countries and territories under which their citizens may be exempt from all or part of U.S. federal income tax.
To see if your country is among these and how a treaty may affect your tax status, read the IRS Publication 901.
10. Where can I get additional U.S. tax forms or help in preparing my return?
Glacier Tax Prep
Internal Revenue Service
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Used with permission from the University of Wisconsin Madison http://iss.wisc.edu/students/current-students/taxes