Applications are accepted throughout the year for the RA position and can be found after completing the quiz at the bottom of the page....Applications Due Feb 14th for 2014-2015 Academic Year
Resident Assistants (RAs) are student staff members who help facilitate positive learning communities in the residence halls. Every residence hall floor has at least one RA who is available to serve as a resource for residents, to offer individual assistance, and to promote community development by interacting individually with students and encouraging group interactions. RAs help to maintain a positive community by explaining community standards and assisting residents in meeting those standards and by encouraging the creation of an environment that promotes academic success. As leaders and role models on their floors, Resident Assistants have the opportunity for an extremely rewarding personal experience.
Resident Assistants are expected to:
- Demonstrate positive leadership in the residence halls and the UW-Whitewater campus community.
- Assess and respond to the needs of residents.
- Promote the growth and development of residents and facilitate their academic success and connection to the residence hall and campus community.
- Develop and maintain a hall environment that is conducive to student learning.
- Ensure adherence to community standards which will maximize residents' academic and personal success.
- Work collaboratively with staff and leaders in the complex, and other staff members in the Residence Life.
- Attend to administrative responsibilities.
- Assume responsibility for personal learning and development in the Resident Assistant role.
There are between 120-130 RAs living in the UW-Whitewater residence halls, and approximately 60 new RAs are hired every year. The application process begins early in the spring semester for the following academic year. An application can be accessed on this website under "How to apply". Questions about the RA position may be addressed to your Complex Director of your respective Residence Hall or by calling our Residence Life office at 262-472-5275.
Renumeration, Benefits & Outcomes
In addition, the leadership and communications skills developed through the position creates a valuable work experience for students in any major. For their efforts, RAs receive a stipend $400 per semester, single room (subject to availability), and board meal plan.
Qualifications / Eligibility
- Maintain a semester GPA of at least 2.0 and a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.25 (a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 is required to go through the selection process). A candidate must have completed a minimum of 9 credits post high school graduation.
- Maintain full-time student status (12-18 credits).
- Fulfill the duties outlined in the Resident Assistant (RA) job description and to meet the expectations of my Complex Director.
- Give the RA position priority over all other areas of outside involvement and activity with the single exception of my academic work.
- Be available to my residents a minimum 3 nights a week and a minimum of two weekends per month.
- Return to campus approximately two weeks early (fall semester) and one week early (spring semester) for RA training. Forego all other non-academic activities during training periods.
- Participate in an ongoing RA training series during my first semester of employment.
- Follow departmental restrictions regarding other employment.
- Not participate as a new or associate member of any sorority or fraternity during my first semester as an RA.
- Participate in no more than one varsity athletic sport during the academic year (sport cannot interfere with fall or winter training).
- Be at the University when classes are in session and remain on the job through hall closing for both spring and fall semesters.
- Return to campus for hall openings.
- Participate in weeknight and weekend duty on a rotating basis with other members of my staff.
- Not be on university or residence hall probation when YOU start the position. If you are currently on probation for tenure and would like to apply for an RA position, please contact the Assistant Director - Community Development at #472.5275. Anyone having pending conduct or an outstanding sanction to complete will not be hired.
- Complete all required training which includes a two week intensive training experience usually beginning the second week of August.