If You Are In Crisis

Take whatever of these steps you are comfortable with and that make sense for your situation.

Ensure you are safe.

UW-Whitewater Police

911 (non-emergency: 262-472-4660)

If you are in immediate danger or feel unsafe, call 911. Police can respond to an ongoing situation, provide a safety escort, or drive you to the hospital. If you are uncomfortable giving your name, a friend or support person can call for you.

You can utilize police services without making a criminal complaint and you can choose whether or not a police investigation will occur.

Sexual Assault Advocates


Advocates are available at any time of the day, and can help you through the steps of responding to a crisis.

Complex Directors and RAs

Your Complex Director or RA can also help you get immediate care. There is a RA on duty every night. Contact information is posted in each residential building.

Friends and Support People

You may also want to call a trusted friend or support person to be with you or to help you find a safe place.

Seek medical care.

If you have experienced sexual assault, it is important to seek appropriate medical attention.

Aurora Lakeland Medical Center

can help you 24 hours a day...

  • Provide a full range of medical care following an assault, including testing for the presence of date rape drugs, treatment of physical trauma, pregnancy prevention, and STI testing/treatment.
  • Trained sexual assault nurse examiners can perform an evidentiary exam to collect evidence, should you wish to consider pursuing a legal complaint of sexual assault.
  • Please remember that doing things like changing clothes, showering and cleaning the crime scene may destroy important evidence.

Contact them...

University Health and Counseling Services

can help you during normal business hours...

  • Provide free, confidential medical care for students who have been sexually assaulted, including treatment for minor injuries, pregnancy prevention, and STI testing/treatment.

Contact them...

  • Phone: 262-472-1300
    8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday
    Located in Ambrose Health Center
  • When calling to schedule an appointment, please inform the receptionist that you are calling regarding an urgent issue to assure that you receive an appointment as quickly as possible.

In Wisconsin, if you report the crime to the police within 5 days and apply for crime victim compensation within one year, you can be reimbursed for medical, hospital, and counseling expenses as well as lost wages and clothing reimbursement. Call 1-800-446-6564.

Seek emotional support.

An experience of sexual assault or misconduct is not something you have to process and struggle with on your own. Talking with others about what you are feeling and experiencing can be an important part of the healing process.

  • Seek out someone you trust to support you.
  • University Health and Counseling Services

    provides free and confidential counseling services to students. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call 472-1305.
  • Local organizations

    have professional advocates who can provide you with support and guidance as you address a sexual assault. These advocacy services are free and confidential.

    • People Against Domestic and Sexual Abuse 24-hour crisis line: 920-674-6768 http://www.gojefferson.com/pada

    • The Association for the Prevention of Family Violence 24-hour crisis line: 262-723-4653

    • 24-hour Crisis Line: 262-741-3200 or 1-800-365-1587
  • Sexual Assault Survivor's Assistance

    Many UW-W staff and faculty members have received training and know how to help individuals who have experienced sexual assault. Trained staff members have door placards and you are welcome to speak with them.

  • Dean of Students Office

    200 Hyer Hall
    Monday - Friday 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    Anyone who has been assaulted by a UW-W student can file a complaint under the student code of conduct. Staff members in the Dean of Students Office are available to assist with this, explain the process and answer any of your questions. Additionally, staff members can help you with changing academic or housing arrangements, contacting an advocate, filing a police report, making a health or counseling appointment, talking with your instructors or understanding your rights on campus.

Consider reporting.

Once you have taken steps to care for yourself physically and mentally, you may consider reporting your experience to UW-Whitewater or to Whitewater Police. For more information about reporting sexual harassment or assault, click here

As a UWW student you have the right to:

  • Medical treatment
  • Counseling and support
  • Advocacy from a trained advocate
  • Have your complaints to the conduct officer investigated
  • Have others present at your hearing
  • Be informed of the outcome of the hearing
  • Report to the police
  • Change your academic or living situation
  • Written educational materials
  • Be treated in a non-judgmental, respectful manner and with confidentiality
  • Know that statistical reporting of all incidents does occur

In Wisconsin, if you report the crime to the police within 5 days and apply for crime victim compensation within one year, you can be reimbursed for medical, hospital, and counseling expenses as well as lost wages and clothing reimbursement. Call 1-800-446-6564.

This site is not meant to replace the advice of health care, counseling or legal professionals. You should not rely on any information on these pages, or information generated for you by this site, to replace consultations with qualified professionals regarding your own specific situation.