Warhawks Vote
Header Image Component Alt Text

How to Vote

If you are not sure if you are registered, you can check with the State of Wisconsin Elections Commission at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/RegisterToVote.

How long before the election must I be registered to vote?
You can vote up to and on Election Day in the state of Wisconsin, but remember that you must have the proper documents with you when you do so (see below).

How long must I have lived in Whitewater to vote here?
To vote in Wisconsin, you must reside in an election ward for at least 10 consecutive days and plan to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Where can I go to register?
You can register with the Clerk at the City of Whitewater. The location is: City Clerk's office, Whitewater Municipal Building, (2nd floor) 312 W. Whitewater St., Whitewater, WI. There will also be opportunities to register to vote on campus — watch the Warhawks Vote homepage for details. You can also register online by following the steps at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/VoterRegistration. You can also register at the polls on Election Day, although it is recommended to register earlier to save time.

What documents do I need to bring with me to register to vote?
You must bring ONE of the following documents when you register:

  • A Wisconsin driver’s license or ID card
  • Any other ID card or license issued by a Wisconsin government agency or unit
  • A residential lease (this would be the lease you signed with the landlord when you secured your housing for this semester)
  • A photo ID from UW-Whitewater with an on-campus housing listing provided by the university to the municipality (UW-Whitewater is working with the Whitewater City Clerk to have this list readily available)
  • A photo ID from a university, college or technical college with a fee receipt (this would be a bill sent to you by UW-Whitewater Student Accounts Office)
  • A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before election day
  • A property tax bill or receipt dated within the last two years (you would only have this if you owned your own home)
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card
  • A letter from an organization that provides services to the homeless that identifies you and describes the location designated as your residence for voting purposes (homeless voters only).


First, check with the State Elections Commission to identify the clerk’s office for your hometown. This can be done at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-US/MyMunicipalClerk. You will then need to complete the voter registration process found here: https://myvote.wi.gov/en-US/VoterRegistration

You may also register by showing up at your local polling place on Election Day and completing the registration form then. You can register to vote all the way up to Election Day, although doing so may extend the time you will need to be at the polling station.


If you are (1) a UW-Whitewater student, (2) are registered to vote in Whitewater and (3) live in campus housing, then you will be able to vote on campus in the James R. Connor University Center on Election Day. If you do not meet all three criteria, you must vote in your hometown, or wherever you are currently registered to vote. For all other students voting in Wisconsin, you can find your polling place using this locator from the State Elections Commission:https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/FindMyPollingPlace.

You don’t need a reason to request an absentee ballot so you can choose this option if it is more convenient for you not to have to come to your polling place on Election Day. You must be registered to vote to request an absentee ballot. If you have not registered to vote, please see information about registering prior to requesting an absentee ballot. The form to request an absentee is available from the State Elections Commission at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/VoteAbsentee.

Your completed absentee ballot must either be delivered to your clerk no later than Election Day or postmarked no later than Election Day and received by your clerk no later than 4 p.m. on the Friday after the election.

Voter registration and voting requirements are going to vary by state. If you are from Illinois, a good place to start would be the State Board of Elections page at https://ova.elections.il.gov/. On this page, you can determine if you are already registered to vote and where, and start the voter registration process online if you are not registered.

Wisconsin now requires a photo ID in order to receive a ballot.

The following items are all acceptable, provided they are either (1) unexpired or (2) have expired SINCE the last general election:

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card or driver license without a photo issued under the religious exemption
  • Military ID card issued by a U.S. uniformed service
  • A U.S. passport
  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin (May be used even if expired before the most recent general election.)
  • A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains date of issuance, signature of student, and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance (for example, a UW-Whitewater Voter ID Card). Also, this university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment. See instructions below for obtaining an enrollment verification form in WINS.

The following items are all acceptable, provided they are unexpired:

  • A veteran’s photo identification card issued by the Veterans Health Administration of the federal Department of Veterans Affairs
  • A certificate of naturalization that was issued not earlier than two years before the date of an election at which it is presented
  • A driving receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)
  • An identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)
  • A temporary identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT through the Identification Petition Process (IDPP) (valid for 60 days)
  • A citation or notice of intent to revoke or suspend a Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license that is dated within 60 days of the date of the election.

Enrollment verification

Users of the UW-Whitewater Voter ID Card must also present a UW-W Voter Enrollment Verification form (in WINS) to show proof of enrollment. Students may print the form or display it to the poll worker on an electronic device such as a smartphone, tablet or computer. This form can also be used to show Proof of Residence for voter registration if WINS lists your Whitewater/local address.

How to print your UW-W Voter Enrollment Verification Form

  1. Log in to WINS
  2. Select Self Service
  3. Select Student Center
  4. Under the Academics section, select My Academics
  5. Select UW-W Voter Enrollment Verification
  6. Select Print a Voter Enrollment Verification
  7. Verify that all information is correct before printing or using at the polls.

Additional information on Photo ID requirements can be found at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/PhotoIDRequired.

You must obtain a free state ID card in order to vote. This can be done at your local DMV. For more information on obtaining a free state ID card, visit http://www.bringitwisconsin.com/how-do-i-get-free-state-id-card. Detailed instructions for obtaining a first-time ID card are allow described at http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/how-to-apply/id-card.aspx.