New to Campus
Welcome to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater!
We are glad to have you as part of the Warhawk community! Below is a snapshot of technology resources available for students or employees. If you experience issues with campus technology, visit the Get Help page.
- Tech Quest - An interactive, guided tour of technology on campus, intended to ensure that all students know what technology resources are available to them, and where to find more information, and help.
- Net-ID - Your UW-Whitewater username to log in to many UW-Whitewater services.
- Wireless - Available in most areas on campus.
- Email - Official university communications, announcements, billing, and course info are sent to your UW-Whitewater email.
- D2L - Desire2Learn is UW-Whitewater's online course management platform.
- WINS - Allows students to register for classes, access your schedule, and view your academic advising report.
- Labs - General Access & Departmental Computer Labs are available to students with a valid Net-ID.
- Printers - Located within campus computer labs. Lab Printing is for students. Look at each lab.
- Storage - UW-Whitewater provides Google Apps as the recommended personal cloud storage option.
- Gaming - Register your device to connect your gaming system or streaming media player.
- Lynda - A vast online library of instructional videos covering the latest software, creative, and business skills.
Download Full Student's Guide to Technology (PDF) »
- Campus username: Net-ID - Used to access the university's technology resources.
- Email - Microsoft Outlook is part of your MS Office package on your campus computer, but you can also access your email and calendar through Outlook Web Access (OWA) - post.uww.edu .
- Printer Set-up - To install a printer, visit uww.edu/iprint and select the building and floor and click the image of the applicable printer to install.
- Document Storage - The recommended method for campus file storage is network storage. UW-Whitewater also offers Google Drive, which is accessible anywhere on or off campus.
- Phones (VoIP) - UW-Whitewater uses a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone system on campus. Your phone is connected to email and instant messenger (Jabber).
- Connecting to Wireless - UW-Whitewater offers free access to its extensive wireless network to those with a valid UW-Whitewater Net-ID.
- Remote Access - To access files off campus you will need to connect to the network by downloading VPN client, visit vpn.uww.edu.
- Spam Filtering - You are able to control your spam settings on your UW-Whitewater email account.
- Photo Privacy - By default your Hawk Card photo is set to display to all campus users through our email system, but you can adjust your privacy settings.
- Technology Training - Live, hands-on, training seminars are available to all employees. In addition, you have access to thousands of online tutorials at go.uww.edu/lynda .
- Software Installation - Employees are able to download software through ZENworks (PC software installation window) or Casper (Mac software installation window) via the campus network.
Download Full Welcome to Whitewater Guide (PDF) »
ICIT Terms and Definitions
- ICIT - Instructional Communication and Information Technology
- TSC - Technology Support Center
- WINS - Whitewater Information Network for Students (WINS is used to access student records and other student related information)
- D2L - Desire2Learn (student learning management system)
- LTC - Learning Technology Center
- OWA - Outlook Web-Access
- VPN - Virtual Private Network