School of Graduate Studies

Frequently Asked Questions


Access the online application at

An online graduate application should be completed by individuals:

  • Seeking a graduate Master's Degree or Doctoral Degree: Individuals who wish to earn a graduate master's degree or doctoral degree from the University.
  • Changing Programs/Emphases: Those looking to switch graduate programs or emphases within the University.
  • Transitioning to Degree Candidate Status: Individuals seeking to change their status from a non-candidate for a degree to pursuing a graduate degree from the University.
  • Applying for Masters' Certificate: Candidates interested in applying for a master's certificate.
  • Non-Candidate for Degree Applications: Individuals who wish to apply as non-candidate for degree students to take a few graduate courses without seeking a UW-Whitewater degree at this time or transfering credits to another institution's degree program as a guest marticulant.

Click for details on how to start the online application

UW-Whitewater offers rolling admission and accepts applications year-round for all semesters, for most of our programs. Review our admission deadlines for details and international application deadlines.

Your application will be saved, if you start the application but do not complete it. If you complete the application and submit without paying the application fee, you will receive an email with instructions on how to pay, but your application will not be forwarded on to an admission adviser. The only way to get an admission adviser to review your application materials is to complete the application in its entirely and pay the fee.

Applicants can access the online application by logging into your application portal

No. The application fee is a one-time charge. The official transcripts are kept on file until a master's degree is completed.

Once an application is complete (i.e., paid application fee, completed application, received official transcripts), the School of Graduate Studies makes a "School of Graduate Studies admission decision" (i.e., admit in "good standing" or admit "contingently") and forwards the material to the program coordinator for a "program-level" admission decision. Applicants are encouraged to contact the coordinator of the graduate program to determine if the program has received all of the application materials they require (i.e., letters of recommendation, test scores, etc.).

Applicants can access the online application status by logging into your application portal Here, applicants can also contact their coordinator with specific questions.

Applicants can access the online application status by logging into your application portal Here, applicants can also contact their coordinator with specific questions.

At least, a 2.75 cumulative undergraduate grade point average; at least, a 2.90 cumulative undergraduate grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program; a master's degree or higher from an institution regionally accredited at the graduate-level; or to have completed, at least, 12 graduate-level credits at UW-Whitewater with a cumulative graduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher.

After all the required application materials have been received, it normally takes one to two weeks for a student to be admitted. However, programs with a set deadline typically notify applicants within one month after their respective deadlines.


The School of Graduate Studies permits a maximum of twelve (12) graduate credits to be transferred in to a degree program from another university. They are to be equivalent to the UW-Whitewater courses and appropriate to the program. The term of the earliest course transferred to the program marks the beginning of the seven years permitted to complete the degree.

After you have received an official letter of admission from the Office of Graduate Studies.

Students have seven years in which to complete their degree program. The seven years are measured from the beginning of the term for which they are admitted at UW-Whitewater.  In the case of students transferring courses into their UW-W degree program, the seven years begins in the term of the first course to be included in the degree.  These include courses completed as a non-candidate for degree student or in a prior graduate program.

Based upon good cause, students may request an extension of the seven year time limit. Such requests should be made in writing, should include the reasons for which the request is being made, and should be directed to the student's degree program coordinator.

Submitting Transcripts

A transcript with an official university seal that is in a sealed envelope from the university or sent electronically directly from the university.

Only if the transcript is official (i.e., it has an official college/university seal) and is in a sealed envelope from the university.

School of Graduate Studies
Roseman 2013
Whitewater, WI 53190

No. Graduate School policy dictates that only transcripts with a university seal, delivered in a sealed envelope from the university or one sent electronically directly from the university, can be considered an "official" transcript.

No. The School of Graduate Studies will order transcripts from the Registrar's Office for you.

Register Frequently Asked Questions

Registration open dates are available on our Schedule of Classes website by each term. Admitted students should verify their specific appointment time through their WINS account. Specific times are posted a week prior to registration opening.

Please meet with your advisor and check for any registration holds prior to registering for classes.

The student record becomes inactive if there is no enrollment for one calendar year. To reactivate your status complete a Reactivation application.

A "hold" is a "stop" put on your ability to register by one or more administrative offices. "Holds" for graduate students are, typically, established by one of the following offices: Financial Services, Registrar, or Graduate Studies.
To determine what kind of "hold" you have, go to WINS System, or contact the School of Graduate Studies (262-472-1006; 800-628-4559). You'll then contact the office that initiated the "hold" to find out why and take action to remove the "hold."

WINS is the system that allows students to register for classes. For a tutorial about how to register using WINS, click here

Students planning to enroll in classes at UW Whitewater will need to complete the "Terms and Conditions for Enrollment/Credit Agreement" each term in WINS, click here for more information

Financial Assistance Frequently Asked Questions

Financial assistance is basically available to UW-Whitewater graduate students in the form of loans and employment. Information and applications for various federal loan programs and work study programs are available through the Financial Aid Office at UW-Whitewater.

Students registered for full-time credits are eligible to apply for a graduate assistantship, and nonresident students who register for full-time credits are eligible for a nonresident fee remission-a fund that helps reduce tuition costs for students who are not residents of the State of Wisconsin.

To be awarded a graduate assistantship, students must apply through the Office of Graduate Studies. The application deadline is 15 February for the next academic year, though students can apply at any time.  Full details available on our Graduate Assistantship website.

Graduation Frequently Asked Questions

You should apply to graduate at least one full semester prior to your final term so your academic record can be reviewed. It is important that your entire academic record is reviewed prior to the final term of enrollment in order to identify any problems and resolve them in time for you to graduate. If you apply late, it may not be possible to alter your schedule if you are deficient in an area. It may also mean that your name will not be on lists of graduating seniors, including the program printed for the commencement ceremony. You may change your graduation date at any time by notifying the Graduate Studies Office.   Application for Graduation

Late submission of the Application for Graduation may result in the student not being able to graduate until the next term. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact the School of Graduate Studies office at 262-472-1006.

The Graduate Outcomes and Satisfaction Survey is part of the University's ongoing efforts to collect student perception data about their graduate experience. Responses are confidential as data is aggregated and shared with departments every five years. The information is essential to the University's ongoing effort to collect student perception data useful to academic assessment that is shared with accrediting agencies.

After submitting the Application for Graduation, students must pay a fee of $65.00 which will be applied to the students WINS account to help cover costs associated with graduation, regardless of whether or not they participate in the ceremony.