University Office & Lab Printing
Approved by Chancellor's office and ICIT, January 9, 2012
This is a SLA defining the Printing Services provided by ICIT to the campus community including:
- Services provided by ICIT in support of non revenue generating printing and the distribution of those services to various service groups as defined in this document.
- Related costs and funding
- Roles and responsibilities
- Assistance ordering Printer Consumables such as toners and imaging components.
- Procedures for service requests and incident reporting.
ICIT provides support for all University owned printers used in Faculty and Staff offices on campus in addition to providing printing services in the General Access Labs, Library and Classrooms for PC and Mac computers. In addition ICIT sets up and manages devices in high use, revenue generating, public printing areas using the Pharos software system.
In Scope Services
- Setup and configuration assistance to ensure functional compatibility w/campus network
- Setup and Configuration of additional functions (i.e. print to fax, scan to email)
- Diagnosis and repair of hardware problems with printing devices
- Management of the Campus Printer Maintenance Contract *
- Diagnosis and resolution of print quality and paper handling issues
- Installation of maintenance kits
- Planning consultation and procurement assistance for devices and consumables
- Network printing management services such as iPrint and Pharos
Out of Scope/ Unsupported
- Service of personal or non University owned devices
- Moving devices for purposes other than repair or maintenance
- Repairs to inkjet devices
- Stand alone scanners, MFPs, or fax machines (outside of basic troubleshooting steps)
- Devices configured to operate outside of the standard network printing solutions.
- Devices that do not conform to ICIT networking standards, (eg. DHCP) or those whose manufacturer no longer provides support for the Campus Network Printing environment.
- Replacement of toners media or printing consumables
The type and configuration of a device defines its service group, the services offered vary depending on which group a particular device falls. Individual instances may vary.
- Networked Ink-jet printers still in service shall be supported in terms of network connectivity and management services.
- Printing solutions that involve user fees or charge back are not supported beyond initial setup and management in the Faros Uniprint system.
- Non-networked Document Centers generally do not function as printers and are not supported.
- Unmanaged Networked Printers will be allowed to function as long as they present no conflicts within the Campus Networked Printing environment. Support for these devices will be limited to the installation of maintenance kits as needed.
- Ink-jet Printers: ICIT does not support the diagnosis or repair of hardware related problems on these devices. It is recommended that alternatives to Ink-jet printers be considered for purchase, such as Networked Laser Printers.
Related Costs & Funding
- The purchase or leasing costs of any printing device is the responsibility of the Department wishing to utilize the device.
- Labor costs for routine maintenance and repair of Laser printers will be provided by ICIT.
- The cost of consumables is the responsibility of the device owner.
- The Campus Printer Maintenance Contract covers parts required for normal maintenance or repairs of a device no longer covered by the Manufacturers Warranty. Any other expenditures shall be charged back to the department owning the device.
- Devices that are to be managed with the UniPrint software in conjunction with a Print Release Station will require prior consultation with ICIT before implementation.
- Document centers should be obtained with the vendor provided maintenance contract.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide consultation and planning for new device implementation.
- Provide repair and maintenance services for existing devices
- Provide temporary alternative printing options in the event of device failure while a permanent replacement is in the process of being procured.
- Contact customer and complete requested service within established ICIT Service Levels.
Incidents will be prioritized on a three level scale as follows...
|Impact Level||Explanation||Examples||Initial Response Time|
|Impact Level 1
||Campus-wide impact of critical importance
||A service affecting all Networked PRinting, i.e. iPrint is down.
||ICIT will respond within 30 minutes.
|Impact Level 2
||Single building or multiple users affected, but remainder of Campus still functioning
||Network problems in a single building preventing use of networked printers
||ICIT will respond within four hours.
|Impact Level 3
||Individuals are affected
||A single printer is not functioning.
||Helpdesk will respond within two business days.
- Utilize the equipment as manufacturer intended, misuse will cause premature failure and void warranty. Please refer to the users manual to determine the correct supplies to use in your device.
- This includes the results of user attempted repair or maintenance, abuse or intentional damage to a device. Repairs for repeated damage to equipment will be charged back to the owner at ICIT's discretion
- Notify TSC when service or assistance is needed.
- Do not attempt to service device as this may void the warranty.
- When requesting assistance, provide accurate and detailed information to TSC regarding make, model, location and Host name of the device and the nature of the problem.
- Provide physical access to the device as needed.
- Monitor & replace consumables as needed.
- Must consult with ICIT to determine the best printing solution and for cost analysis prior to implementation of revenue generating printing.
Service Requests and Incident Reporting
All communications regarding service requests or incident reporting should be through TSC, this ensures that a record of the request or incident is created and maintains an audit trail and history of the event. Inform TSC if there is a mission critical failure rather than trying to contact a technician directly, TSC will escalate the issue as required.
Hours of Coverage and Escalation Procedures
Service Requests Campus noticing problems with office or lab printing equipment shall initially contact the Helpdesk.
Phone Number: 472-HELP (472-4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org
The hours during academic sessions are Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 9 PM Fridays: 8 AM - 4:30 PM
Check the helpdesk website for summer and extended hours.
If a department/division does not receive a contact within the specified time for their Impact Level, an email should be sent to sla-ICIT@uww.edu.
* For printers enrolled in the program, ICIT is responsible for the repair and maintenance costs that may be incurred during the fiscal year. University-owned laser printers from HP and Dell are eligible for the program. The maintenance fee is $50.00 per year for each black and white printer and $75.00 for each color printer. The costs for consumables remain the responsibility of the department and are not covered by this agreement. Toner and imaging/drum kits are considered consumables. In addition, it is the responsibility ofthe departments to use the printers within manufacturer warranty and guidelines.