Recreation Sports & Facilities
Header Image Component Alt Text

UW-Whitewater Wheelchair Basketball teams sweep at Edinboro University

January 27, 2014

The program returns home with an 8-0 record from the tournament January 24 & 25.

Lydia Sprain After a rather bumpy start into the weekend, the teams did not let anything hold them back and won all of their games.

Thursday, the team had to load the bus while it was snowing and once on the road heading towards Pennsylvania, it would only get worse. The massive amounts of snow coming down in Indiana slowed down the trip by several hours, so even though we were fortunate enough for a great bus driver to make it to Edinboro, PA, we did not arrive until 3 A.M. local time.

Thus, after a very short night, the women's team headed to the gym for a 9 A.M. game against the University of Illinois on Friday. The team was exhausted from the trip and started slowly into their game, allowing Illinois some easy baskets but nevertheless fought hard and ended the close first half with a buzzer beater 3-point shot by Mareike Adermann to 34-22. The second half, the team did not back down and thus grew the lead to a final score of 68-44 to win the first game of the weekend.

Next up, the men got to play a friendly game against the National Academy of Canada, the first college program aimed to develop national team athletes for wheelchair basketball in Canada. With a little more sleep, the team came out strong from the beginning, leading 26-15 at the half and finally winning the game 62-38. The team was led in scoring by a strong shooting performance of Freshman Dylan Fischbach with 28 points.

David Fleming The women's second game of the day was against the host, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. With a very strong team effort, the team was able to lead 32-0 at the half and finished the game 55-17 in the end. Junior Jillian Host showed her diverse skills on the court by adding 11 points, 15 rebounds, 8 assists, and 2 steals to the win.

The games continued by the men taking on the host as well. Similar to the women's game, the team effort was winning the game already at the half with a lead of 36-14 and a final win at 65-30.

Running on only four hours of sleep, the women were yet to have another game. At 4 P.M. they faced the women's team of the Canadian National Academy. The game was fast very fast paced as both teams relied heavily on pressing and fast breaks but the Warhawks height and athleticism helped them to a final 61-37 win.

Lastly for the day, the men got to repeat their first game by playing the men's team of the Canadian Academy again. This time, the teams knew what to expect better and it was a tougher matchup. Nevertheless, our men came out strong shooting a total of 61% from the field in the first half and taking a 44-18 lead. This large lead allowed Jeremy Lade to change up some lineups and get all 13 athletes on the floor while winning the game 71-53 in the end.

After the first day being strongly successful, the teams both got a good night's sleep to get ready for a double header against the rival from the University of Illinois.

Dan Price First off, the women's team got a rematch of the tournament's first game. The ladies were ready to go and pushed hard from the beginning putting up the first two points of the game within the first possession and leading 16-4 after only 7:21 minutes of the game. However, suddenly they found themselves in a completely new situation. The team fought through a 7 minute drought of points as none of the athletes were able to convert their shots even though they were getting the same looks as always including easy layups as well as good screen and post-up shots. Led by the three captains, Desiree Miller, Mareike Adermann and Becca Murray, the team kept themselves alive with playing strong defense throughout this drought and never giving up and finally getting their scoring abilities back for a 29-19 half time lead. Both teams came back and fought hard once again the second half however; our Warhawk ladies came out even stronger to push the final score to a 54-34 win.

Last but not least, the men's team took on the University of Illinois. Both teams were ready to do business and not giving in to one another as the score showed a tied game of 16-16 9 minutes into the game including two back-to-back three point shots made by Dylan Fischbach. At this point, the Warhawks found the next gear though as Jake Williams, Derrick Bisnett and Dylan Fischbach all combine for four steals in only two minutes. At the half, the Warhawks led 41-26. With a strong 76 % shooting from the field, the win was never in danger again and finalized with a score of 84-56.

This concluded the tournament and after another long drive through the snow, the teams made it home Sunday at 1 A.M. Both teams will rest next weekend and resume play at the University of Illinois on February 7 and 8. This will be the first time both teams face the University of Alabama as the only teams left for both to have competed against all intercollegiate teams.

As we began this weekend, we will continue to show all games online with live stats and upload pictures and scores to our Facebook page. Thank you to everyone following us so far, if you have not, follow the link below to do so in two weeks!

Go Warhawks!


Follow Us On Facebook


University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Recreation Sports & Facilities
Williams Center Room 100
Whitewater, WI 53190-1790 

Contact Us

Phone: (262) 472-1145
Fax: (262) 472-1875
Hotline: (262) 472-1400
Map & Directions

Connect With Us

Events Schedule