Whether you’re starting college for the first time or returning to the classroom after many years away, it’s never too late to earn your degree at UW-Whitewater.

Our admissions, student services, and veteran services teams collaborate in warmly welcoming returning adult students.


How to apply UW-Whitewater

As an adult student, you’ll still use the traditional University of Wisconsin System Application for Undergraduate Admission.

First step
Start your online Universities of Wisconsin Application.

What to expect next
Within a few days, after you submit your application, you’ll receive an email about setting up an account for our student information system, WINS. You can track your college application progress, such as what documents still might be needed.

Adult students at UW-Whitewater

College Factual ranked UW-Whitewater in the top 10% of the best schools for nontraditional students in the nation. And we're recognized among Abound’s Top Adult Degree Programs, based on factors that cover the essential needs of the non-traditional student—accessibility, affordability, acceleration, and advancement. The university is noted for flexible classes and services, affordable courses, a range of quality programs, and degrees that help your students advance in their field. We’re proud of these honors. From the Adult Student Welcome through graduation, these are just a few ways we support and recognize students like you:

Learn more about how we serve adult students at our Adult Student Support Office website

If you have questions about applying to UW-Whitewater, contact us »

As a returning adult student, you won’t need to submit your ACT or SAT scores. Instead, we complete a comprehensive review of your application to determine if we believe you can be successful in our academic environment.

We’ll look at factors such as:
● Military training
● Work experience
● Prior education
● Personal motivation
● Commitment to career goals

The UW application for admission will ask you to select what type of undergraduate student you are. Here are some details to help guide you:

New freshman: if you’ve graduated high school but have never attended a college or university since high school.

Transfer student: if you’ve graduated high school, enrolled at a college or university other than UW-Whitewater, and now plan to attend UW-Whitewater.

Re-entry student: if you’ve graduated high school, attended UW-Whitewater as a degree-seeking student and wish to return to UW-Whitewater after an absence of one or more semesters.

Special student: You might classify as a special student if you’re a high school graduate planning to attend UW-Whitewater, but not to earn your first bachelor’s degree.

Examples might include:

  • A non-degree-seeking student (such as courses for teaching certification)
  • A “guest” student enrolling for no more than six credits
  • A student taking prerequisite courses for a UW-Whitewater graduate program
  • Someone earning their second bachelor’s degree


Returning adult students should apply to UW-Whitewater by:

  • May 1 for the fall semester
  • Dec. 1 for the spring semester

Apply Now

Financial Aid

We suggest you complete your FAFSA by:

  • Jan. 1 for priority financial aid consideration

Financial aid, such as scholarships for adult students, is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so we encourage you to apply early.

More to explore