McClellan Endowed Teacher of Distinction Award 2015
EDUINDP 320: Integrated Curriculum 3-5 Year Olds
EDUINDP 452: Integrated Curriculum 6-8 Year Olds
EDUINDP 212: Children and Families in a Diverse Society
EDUINDP 332: Reflective seminar (Identity, Culture and Social Justice)
EDUINDP 441: Preschool Field Supervision
EDUINDP 331: Infant/Toddler Field Supervision
EDUINDP 443: Kindergarten Field Supervision
EDP 461/462/465: 1st/2nd Grade Inclusive and Special Education Supervision
EARLYCHD 711, Early Childhood Education: From Theory to Practice
EARLYCHD 713, Trends in Curriculum for the Preschool/Primary Child
EARLYCHD 714, Current Issues in Early Childhood Education
CIFLD 793, Practicum (Elementary)
Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction, University of Wisconsin - Madison
M.S. Education, Old Domiion University, Virginia
B.S. Business, Indiana University - Bloomington
Race, culture and identity in early education; integrating early childhood curriculum; critical theoretical perspectives; culturally relevant pedagogy; policy issues of equity and access in early education.
Wheelock College, Assistant Professor
Tenney Nursery and Parent Center, Director
UW- Preschool Lab, Director
Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe School, Classroom Teacher
- Heimer, L. & Winokur, J. (2015). Preparing teachers of young children: How an interdisciplinary curriculum approach is understood, supported and enacted among students and faculty. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education. Vol. 36(4), pp. tbd.
- Heimer, L. & Klefstad, E. (2015). It’s not really a menu because we can’t pick what we want to do”: Content integration in kindergarten contexts. Global Studies of Childhood, 5 (3) pp. 239-254. http://gsc.sagepub.com/content/5/3/239.full.pdf?ijkey=m2IATzDOyFfX8qe&keytype=finite
- Devore, S., Fox, R., Heimer, L. & Winchell, B. (2015) Meeting in the circle: Examining identity, attitudes, and pedagogy in the context of an early childhood teacher education program in the United States. Early Years: an International Research Journal, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09575146.2015.1103704
- Michael-Luna, S. & Heimer, L. (2011). Comprehensive Curricula: The Creative Curriculum and High Scope. In Curriculum in Early Childhood: Reexamined, Rediscovered, Renewed. File, N., Mueller, J., & Wisneske, D. (Eds.), Routledge.
- Heimer, L. (2006). Voices at the table: the deconstruction of the policy process for a local preschool initiative. In Practical Transformations and Transformational Practices: Globalization, Postmodernsim, and Early Childhood Education. Ryan, S. & Grieshaber, S. (Eds.), Elsevier.
- Heimer, L. (2006). Book review of A practical guide to early childhood curriculum: Linking thematic, emergent, and skill-based planning to children’s outcomes by Evelyn Petersen, Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 7 (1).
- Heimer, L. (In Preparation). Pre-Service Teachers’ Love/Hate Relationship with a Racial/Cultural Self and Society.