Welcome to the Department of Mathematics
Throughout history the mathematical sciences and more recently computer science have been admired for their intrinsic beauty and interdisciplinary applications that contribute to economic advancement, scientific understanding, and world cultures. Our mission is to create a climate that nurtures curiosity, inspires creativity, promotes collaboration, and drives the learning and expansion of mathematical and computer science knowledge within our university, our profession, and our community.
In support of this mission we are committed to:
- Fostering personal and professional growth by offering challenging and relevant mathematics and computer science courses through the general education program, specialized and career-oriented majors and minors, and collaborative programs with other departments and colleges.
- Developing innovative pedagogy to promote the acquisition of mathematical and computer knowledge and understanding.
- University proficiency requirements in basic mathematics,
- Building a collaborative professional community of faculty and students by supporting scholarship in the mathematical and computer sciences.
- Providing mathematical, statistical, and computer assistance to the surrounding community.
- Promoting professional development by recruiting and retaining faculty of the highest caliber.
- Connecting academic knowledge with experiences such as international study, undergraduate research, and internships.
- Maintaining a high level of personal and professional integrity and instilling these ideals in our students.
- Enriching the lives of students, faculty, and the university by sharing the beauty, insights, history, and culture of the mathematical and computer sciences.
Adopted unanimously by the department on April 7, 2009
Please visit the Math website or the Computer Science website for additional information on classes, schedules, FAQs, and more not found here.