School of Graduate Studies

Noncandidate for Degree Application Information

If you hold a bachelor's degree and would like to enroll in graduate courses, but do not wish to be admitted to a graduate degree program, you can enroll as a Noncandidate for Degree (NCFD).

Noncandidate for degree status is available if you possess a bachelor's or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution but do not want to pursue a graduate degree from UW-Whitewater. You are considered a noncandidate for degree student if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • Post-Bachelor's Student: A student who received a bachelor's degree and is now pursuing graduate coursework without currently seeking a specific degree.
  • Educational Certification Requirements: A teacher wanting to complete graduate course work to maintain educational certification requirements.
  • Guest Transfer of Credit: A student enrolled in a graduate degree program at another accredited institution that wants to transfer the UW-Whitewater course work to their non-UW-Whitewater degree program.
  • Post Master's Student: A student who has already received a master's degree from UW-Whitewater and wishes to take additional selected course work.

The application fee is not assessed to noncandidate for degree students, and transcripts are also not collected. Your signature on the application attests that you have earned a bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited institution. Once admitted, graduate fees are applied for all course work taken, even when taking a combination of graduate and undergraduate courses. Some graduate programs allow students to transfer up to 12 credits earned as a noncandidate for degree into their degree program. Further, deans and/or program coordinators may accept or reject credits taken as a noncandidate for degree student.

Click here to complete an online application