School of Graduate Studies

Graduate Transfer Credits

Students seeking to transfer credits must complete a transfer credit form for approval. At UW-Whitewater, all coursework, except for a maximum of twelve credits, must be undertaken within our institution. If you are enrolled in a degree program here and intend to pursue a course at another institution for transfer to UW-Whitewater, it is essential to secure permission before enrolling in the external course. Additionally, the external institution granting graduate credit may request documentation verifying your graduate status at UW-Whitewater.

Click Here To Download Transfer Credit Form


Within the twelve-credit transfer limit, courses completed at other institutions may be transferred to UW-Whitewater for application towards a graduate degree, subject to the following conditions:

  1. The institution offering the course must hold regional accreditation at the graduate level.
  2. The course must be listed as a graduate-level course on the student's transcript from the offering institution.
  3. The course should be relevant to a graduate degree program at the offering institution.
  4. The course must align with the student's proposed graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater.
  5. The course cannot be a correspondence course or taught in a format less rigorous than UW-Whitewater's standards.
  6. A minimum grade of B (3.00) must have been earned in the course.

Additionally, both graduate coursework from UW-Whitewater and those accepted from other accredited institutions must meet the time-based educational requirements based on the Carnegie Unit: a minimum of sixteen contact hours, along with at least 32 hours of student preparation and out-of-class activity per credit.

Supporting Materials

No transfer credit request will be considered without the following information and supporting materials/documents:

  • Photocopy of catalogue course description
  • Course syllabus
  • Verification that the course is a graduate course
  • Verification that the course is applicable to a graduate program at the institution offering the course
  • Official Graduate Transcript from the institution where the course was taken

Please submit one complete PDF file for each course. Organize the PDF in the following order: Transfer credit request form, copy of course description, and syllabus. This form must be completed for each course for which a request for transfer is made.