Undergraduate Research Program
Frequently Asked Questions

Grant Purchasing

How to Spend Project Funds »

Read Up On and Apply for Our Programs

Get Into Research »

Poster Printing

Research Poster Guidelines »

Please let the Undergraduate Research staff know if you have suggestions for any further information we should include on this page. If you have additional conerns or suggestions, please email us at urp@uww.edu.

General FAQs

Absolutely! For example we have funded some terrific projects to support innovative metal work and music composition. We are happy to fund more of these projects. There is research being conducted in all majors and disciplines on campus.

You can earn an hourly wage under the Research Apprenticeship Program (RAP). For more information on RAP, please click here. Our other programs offer a research grant that can be used towards materials that are required for your research.

We advise you to take a look at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs webpage on Research with Human Subjects here. You will be able to find the Institutional Review Board (IRB) guide and other useful resources for your research with human subjects. Research with human subjects through data collection from surveys must follow specific guidelines outlined in the IRB guide.

We advise you to take a look at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs webpage on Research with Animals here. You will be able to find all the policies and procedures that must be followed and other useful resources for your research with animals.

Grant FAQs

Unfortunately it does not, unless you requested such an arrangement in advance and it was approved. You must spend all the funds in your grant by mid-April; the exact date varies from year to year so if you are worried about the deadline, just contact our office at urp@uww.edu

Yes. We encourage students to do so since they will be getting valuable experience in proposal writing. Should the application be successful, you will also be awarded with opportunities to present on campus in our Spring Undergraduate Research Day, as well as receive financial support to present in either one of the following off-campus student research conferences: National Conference on Undergraduate Research OR UW System Symposium on Research and Creative Activity. You should indicate a budget of '0' on the itemized budget form and the desire to receive support to present in an Undergraduate Research Conference in the budget justification. You can indicate a conference preference but conference assignment is made by URP staff and their decision is final. Presentation at NCUR is also contingent upon acceptance of the submitted abstract by the review committee of the host institution.

While we do consider your preference, the decision process is handled by our staff and we will let you know by mid-to-late October. We expect that virtually all students who do two years of undergraduate research will have the chance to go to NCUR, if their abstract is accepted. Otherwise, seniors and Honors Thesis students may be at a slightly higher priority for NCUR attendance.

Mentor FAQs

Yes. We will probably be able to take anyone who is interested to the UW-System conference. Let the Director know if you are interested in attending NCUR once your student's NCUR abstract is accepted. Faculty who have not attended recently and who are supervising multiple students or who regularly mentor students are of the highest priority.

We understand that Undergraduate Research projects operate on short timelines that can require rapid adjustments to enable successful work. We are generally quite flexible on grant expenditures provided they adhere to university and URP guidelines.  It is best to contact us with a revised budget and/or proposal so that we are aware of the situation.

Given the labor intensive work of mentoring high quality student research, the Undergraduate Research Program limits funding to three student projects for each faculty/staff supervisor per year. Several students, however, may be included in each project. Please be aware that the Undergraduate Research Program may not be able to provide full conference travel for all students in projects that have multiple researchers.

Please refer to UW-Whitewater's Financial Services Policies about travel here. For general questions, please inquire with the Travel Office by email travel@uww.edu or call (262)472-1331. All airfare must be purchased using the Concur booking tool or by calling Fox World Travel 866-230-8787.

PLEASE inquire with the Travel Office with any questions on traveling and/or have the appropriate assistance when dealing with business concerning travel. If policies are not followed you WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED.

Contact URP
  • McCutchan Hall, Lower Level
  • Email: urp@uww.edu
  • Phone: (262) 472-1296
  • Common Office Hours:
  • M-Th 9:30am-4:30pm
  • F 9:30am-1:30pm

Facebook Logo     

Contact RAP
  • McCutchan Hall, Lower Level
  • Email: rap@uww.edu
  • Phone: (262) 472-1484
  • Common Office Hours:
  • M 9am-12pm
  • Tu 9:30am-11am, 4pm-5pm
  • Th 9am-12pm