Develop a Job Description
Departments are highly encouraged to develop a job description for all student positions. A position description is required for all work study employees. A well-written job description helps the manager recruit qualified applicants and helps the student clearly understand what is expected for them. Once developed, it is the department's responsilibyt to keep record of these job descriptions.
Items to include in a job description:
- Position title
- Name of department
- Name and title of supervisor
- Qualifications or requirements (this may include prior experience preferred, courses taken that will qualify an individual for a specific job, knowledge/skills needed, minimum grade point average, etc.)
- Start and end dates for the role
- Number of work hours per week (include specific days and hours needed if applicable)
- Wage classification and rate of pay
- Application deadline and procedure
Job Roles and Expectations: All student employment positions should have up-to-date job descriptions that accurately describe the expectations and role of each student employee. It is the manager's responsibility to ensure that job descriptions are developed and that each student employee is informed of his/her responsibilities and expectations.
Hawk Jobs is UW-Whitewater's online job board for students. As such, Hawk Jobs serves as the sole centralized listing of student employment opportunities, thereby creating a fair method for students to become aware of opportunities to work on campus. Departments are highly encouraged to post their vacancies on Hawk Jobs. There are two simple ways to post a job on Hawk Jobs:
- Simply forward the written job announcement to Career@uww.edu and the staff in Career & Leadership Development will post the job for you.
- For those hiring managers who wish to post the job themselves, contact Career & Leadership Development and the staff will assist you in establishing your Hawk Jobs account.
Support from Career & Leadership Development
Staff members in the Career & Leadership Development department administer the Hawk Jobs program and are available to assist you as needed. Anyone needing assistance should call (262) 472-1471 or email Career@uww.edu.