Hire a Student


To be eligible for student employment, students must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, national, or eligible non-citizen.
  • International students, due to their "F" Visa status, are eligible for on-campus Regular Pay positions only and are limited by law to a maximum of 20 hours per week during the period of employment.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (6 undergraduate credits; 4.5 graduate credits) during the academic year. Any exceptions must be approved by the Director of Human Resources & Diversity.
  • University policy prohibits the hiring of a student who is related to the faculty or staff member serving as the hiring authority for the position involved.
  • Students 17 years of age or younger must have a work permit on file with Human Resources & Diversity

Maximum Hours of Work

During the Fall and Spring semesters, a student may not exceed 25 hours per week in total hours. This means students who are working in more than one department must monitor their hours to ensure they do not exceed the 25 hour per week limit. Due to their "F" Visa status, international students are limited by law to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. All students may work up to 40 hours per week during the summer and the weeks when there is not a full schedule of classes.

Hiring During the Summer

Students may work during the summer session even if they are not enrolled. However, they must have been enrolled at UW-Whitewater the previous semester and have plans to be a continuing student at UW-Whitewater in the fall, or they must be a new student who intends to enroll in the fall.

By law, Social Security and Medicare tax deductions will be taken from the student's paychecks during the summer if they are not enrolled in classes. If there is a change in enrollment status, students should complete a new Hire Authorization Form and submit it to Human Resources & Diversity.

Any student who graduates at the end of the Spring semester and remains employed on campus must be transferred from the student payroll to a Limited Term Employment (LTE) status. The hiring manager is responsible for initiating this change with Human Resources & Diversity.

Hiring Process

It is the responsibility of the hiring manager to complete the hiring packet accurately and in its entirety prior to submitting to Human Resources & Diversity. All incomplete packets will be returned to the hiring manager for completion.

When hiring a student who has not previously been employed by the University, a completed hiring packet consists of the following forms:

  • Completed Hire Authorization Form with the full name of each student being hired.
  • Completed I-9 Form verifying the employment eligibility for each student hired.
  • Completed W-4 Form for payroll tax purposes.
  • Completed Selective Service Compliance Form for male students only.
  • Completed Direct Deposit Form. Students are required to receive their pay via direct deposit. In order to ensure that the student is paid in a timly manner for their services, hiring managers should verify that the student has accurately completed their Direct Deposit Form.
  • Completed Criminal Background Check for student employees working with children, cash, or keys.

When hiring a student who has previously been employed by the University, a completed hiring packet consists of the following forms:

  • Completed Hire Authorization Form (hourly) with the full name of each student being hired OR
  • Completed Hire Authorization Form (lump sum) with the full name of each student being hired. Students will need to submit new W-4 or Direct Deposit forms to HR if anything has changed from a previous position.

Work Study Information

Federal Work Study is a need-based aid program that is awarded to student who have demonstrated financial need. This program is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Students who receive a Federal Work Study allocation as part of their financial aid package are eligible to apply for Work Study jobs on campus. Students can earn up to the amount listed on their award letter. Individuals with questions about Work Study should contact the Financial Aid Office at (262) 472-1130.