Student Employment Handshake Online Job Board »

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions - Students

What is the definition of a student employee?

A student employee is anyone employed by the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater whose primary purpose for being at the University is to obtain an education. This includes anyone who attends an educational institution and is employed by UW-Whitewater during seasonal breaks.

To be eligible for student employment, students must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, national, or eligible non-citizen.
  • International students are eligible for on-campus Regular Pay positions and are limited by law to a maximum of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.
  • Be enrolled in an educational institution at least half-time (6 undergraduate credits; 4.5 graduate credits) during the academic year. Any exceptions must be approved by Araceli Partida - HR Assistant in the  Human Resources Office.
  • Students 17 years of age or younger must have a work permit on file with Human Resources.
  • Males between 18 - 25 are required to register with Selective Service at

What is Work Study?

Federal Work Study is a need-based aid program that is awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need. This program is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Students who receive a Federal Work Study allocation as a part of the financial aid package are eligible to apply for jobs on campus. Students can earn up to the amount listed on their award letter.To receive Work Study, students must complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid and demonstrate financial need. Students should contact the Financial Aid office for assistance.

Do I have to work, or will I simply receive a check, for my Work Study?

Work Study resources must be earned in qualifying Work Study jobs. You will not automatically receive a check for the awarded amount.

If I have been awarded Work Study, am I guaranteed employment on campus?

No, receiving Work Study does not guarantee that you will be hired on campus. It is your responsibility to secure employment in a campus job. To view a listing of available campus jobs, visit Handshake.

If I don't receive Work Study, am I eligible to work on campus?

Yes. In fact, about 80% of the on-campus student jobs do not require Work Study. These positions are called Regular Pay positions.

Can I use my Work Study if I work for Aladdin/University Dining Services?

No. While Aladdin/University Dining Services jobs are on campus, you are not employed by UW-Whitewater. Therefore, you are not eligible to use your Work Study allocation for these positions.

I am an international student. Can I get a job and work while attending the University?

International students with "F" Visa status are eligible for on-campus Regular Pay positons only and are limited to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Can I work on campus during the summer and semester breaks?

Based on need, many departments employ students during the summer and break periods. To be eligible for student employment during the summer, you must be enrolled as a student for the following Fall semester.

How am I paid for on-campus employment?

Students are paid every other week during the period of employment. Students are required to receive their pay via direct deposit.

How many hours can I work in a day?

Students are not limited to a specific number of hours per day. However, they are limited to a total of 25 hours per week (20 hours per week for international students) during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Handshake Questions

Have a question about Handshake, how to post a job, or how to apply to jobs on Handshake? 

Career Services can help!

Career Services Contact Information

University Center 146

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

HR/Payroll Questions

Have a question about student hiring paperwork or other payroll related items?

Human Resources  - Student Payroll can help!

Human Resources Contact Information

Hyer Hall 330
262-472-1024 or

Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM