Procurement and purchasing cards at UW-Whitewater


The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Procurement Card Program was established to provide departments with a simple, cost-effective, and convenient way to make low dollar purchases.  The program is designed to replace most low dollar purchase orders and blanket orders.

The Program is NOT intended:

  • To avoid or bypass appropriate procurement or payment procedures, but to be a complement to existing procedures.
  • For personal use.

The procurement card may be used at any merchant or service provider that accepts the card, subject to the limitations described in procurement card poicy.

The procurement card may be used in much the same manner that personal credit cards are used for in-store purchases and for mail, telephone, internet, or fax orders.

This manual provides the guidelines for using your procurement card, so please read it carefully.  Your signature on the Procurement Cardholder Agreement indicates that you have read and understand these guidelines and that you agree to follow them.

Accurate record keeping is essential to the Program's success.  There are no extraordinary requirements -- merely that you retain all sales slips, receipts, etc. that document the purchase. You are responsible for your procurement card's security and for the transactions made with your procurement card.  The procurement card is issued in your name, and purchases made with it are your responsibility.  Do not allow others to use your card.  Use of the card outside these guidelines and procurement policy may result in personal liability.

Finally, remember that you have been entrusted with University funds through your card, and this responsibility should not be taken lightly.

PCard Information

  • The Supply (S&E) Purchasing Card is intended for low-dollar, best-judgment purchases to be paid directly by the University. The card is assigned to a specific UW–Whitewater employee and may only be used by that individual.

  • The Travel Purchasing Card is a payment tool available to individual employees for individual or department travel use. The card is used to pay for business travel expenses - primarily lodging, registration, car rental, and airline tickets in accordance with UW System travel policy.

  • Cards must be used in compliance with the SYS 351 and SYS351.A.

  • The corporate travel card is a joint liability card. The credit card statement is sent directly to the traveler. Travelers may opt to have their reimbursement routed directly to U.S. Bank through the e-reimbursement system, or pay the statement personally.

  • Please see the Which Card Do I Use Chart to help determine the type of card needed.

  • P Card Application (S&E and Travel)

    • When you receive a new card, you will have to activate it before it can be used.  A sticker on the card will provide activation instructions, and during the activation process you do not provide your SSN, you must provide four digits the Program Administrator will issue you. Please contact the Procurement Department for those digits.

  • Corporate Travel Card Application

    • When you receive a new card, you will have to activate it before it can be used.  A sticker on the card will provide activation instructions, and during the activation process you may be asked for the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN).  Please contact the Procurement Department if you have any questions.
  • The University is exempt from the payment of sales and use tax on purchases made in the state of Wisconsin and also has tax treaties with several other US states.

  • The sales tax exemption number is listed on the PCard in the upper right corner. The cardholder is responsible for reimbursing the university for any sales tax charged, if not credited by vendor. Check your receipts!

  • Contact Procurement for a copy of our current tax exemption certificate.

  • UW-Whitewater uses an online, digital reconciliation and reallocation module in the Shared Financial System (SFS) to document P card transactions. Cardholders and approvers reconcile (including adding attachments and providing the business purpose), reallocate funding, and approve transactions within the SFS P Card Module.

  • Instructions for reconciling and approving transactions can be found here »

Frequently Asked Questions

The following resource personal are available to provide assistance, answer questions, or help solve any problems that may occur:

Procurement Department @

Key Contact

  • To apply for a Purchasing Card.
  • For questions about policies and procedures.
  • To replace damaged cards.
  • For assistance with suppliers.
  • For account inquiries.
  • For billing information
  • If you don't receive your monthly statement.
  • To report a lost or stolen card.

US Bank Customer Service: (877)887-9260 or number on back of card.

  • To report lost or stolen cards.
  • For questions about your statement.

The use of the Purchasing Card results in agency liability, NOT a personal liability for the card holder. Your credit rating will not be affected. However, remember that you sign an agreement with your agency prior to receiving the card and as such you are responsible for any misuse of the card as outlined in this manual.

If you leave campus, you must return your Purchasing Card to your supervisor. The supervisor is responsible for contacting the Agency Purchasing Card Coordinator, who will cancel the card. Returned Purchasing Cards are not re issued to other employees for use. Before returning a cancelled Purchasing Card, cut the card in half. If you transfer to a different department, contact the Procurement Department.

You are responsible for following up with merchant or bank on any erroneous charges, disputed items or returns as soon as possible. Disputed billings can result from failure to receive the goods charged, defective merchandise, incorrect dollar amounts, duplicate charges, credit not processed, as well as fraud and misuse.

If you have a problem with a purchased item or a billing resulting from use of the VISA Purchasing Card, you should first try to reach a resolution with the supplier that provided the item. In most cases disputes can be resolved directly between the card holder and the supplier.


Referring to your receipt, request from the merchant that a credit be placed on your card account. If the item was shipped, refer to the shipping form you kept with your purchase record.


A credit should be issued for any item that the supplier has approved for return. the credit will appear on a subsequent statement. Any item purchased with the VISA Purchasing Card that is returned must be returned for credit. Do not accept a refund in cash or check format. Make sure you keep documentation of credits, returns and exchanges with your purchase record.

Disputed Items

If you have a disputed charge and cannot reach resolution with the supplier, please contact US Bank Customer Service, (877)887-9260 or number on back of card.

Your Purchasing Card should be treated with the same level of care you use with your personal credit cards.

  • Do not lend your card to anyone. The only person authorized to use the Purchasing Card is the person whose name is on the from of the card and who completed the Purchasing Card Application and Use Agreement.
  • Guard your Purchasing Card account number carefully. Do not post it or write it in location that is accessible to others.
  • Use only secure, encrypted methods for transmitting your card number.