Drop In Site
Are you a UW-Whitewater student looking for hourly care? We are here to help! The Children’s Center is hosting a drop-in site for children 2-12 years old, in the lower level of the University Center.
Hourly Care Reservations
Hours and location
UC 82 (lower level near UW Credit Union)
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
$5 an hour for children of students
$8 an hour for children of faculty, staff and community
*Two Hour Minimum
Thanks to a federal grant, full-time (12 credits or more) undergraduate Pell grant students with a GPA of 2.00 or more may receive 50-70% off the cost of care! To find out if you qualify, fill out the survey.
For more information and to sign up, contact email@example.com or 262-472-1767.
How to Say Goodbye on the First Day…
If your child is having trouble separating from you, we suggest that you calmly reassure him/her that you will return. It is sometimes helpful to give a period that a child can understand (i.e. “I will pick you up…while you are outside, right after lunch, during free choice.” Etc.) After letting your child know that you will return (although it may be difficult) we suggest that you say goodbye and leave. We ask that you notify a teacher in that classroom when you are ready to leave so they know it is okay to take your child from you. This teacher will comfort your child and reassure them that you will return. When good-byes become very long it usually turns into a power struggle and a very stressful situation for the child, family member, and other children in the classroom. Please feel free to call or stop in at the office throughout the day to see how things are going. A parent coming into the classroom and then leaving again, can be to too confusing to a young child, especially before they have become comfortable in this new setting. If you have any questions or concerns about how to make separating from your child be less stressful, please stop in and talk to one of the lead teachers or the director.
Open Door Policy
- Paperwork. You can find these forms on our website. We cannot provide care if the forms are not filled out and turned into the office. This is a State of Wisconsin Child Care Licensing requirement.
- Lunch. If your child will be in the classroom between 11:30-12:30 please provide a cold lunch. We provide a morning and afternoon snack that is served family style with all your child’s new friends.
- Water Bottle. Please make sure your child(ren) bring(s) a labeled water bottle.
- Extra pair of clothes in case clothes become messy, wet or soiled.
- We go outside every day, weather permitting. Please bring appropriate clothes for child to be comfortable outside. Warmer months: sunscreen and sun hats. Cooler months: Jackets and rain boots. Cold months: snow pants, winter jacket, hat, waterproof gloves, snow boots. Children 2 and older will go outside if it feels like 0 or above. The Children’s Center follows the Child Care Weather Watch to determine when we should limit our time outside.
- Reading material. Please send along a book that your child is currently interested in - they can read independently, with a peer or a teacher!
7:30 – 8:30 Free exploration
8:30 Clean-up / Morning Meeting
8:45 – 9:15 Breakfast
9:15 Diaper checks and changes
9:30 – 11:00 Outside/Group activity/Free exploration
11:00 Diaper checks and changes
11:20 Clean up / Prepare for lunch
11:45 – 12:30 Lunch
12:30 Rest / Quiet time
*as children wake* Diaper checks and changes
2:45 – 3:15 Snack
3:15 – 5:30 Outside / Free exploration