University Honors Program (UHP)


Coursework Requirements

There are two ways that students can complete the coursework required to graduate with University Honors:

  • Complete 21 Honors credits through one or more of the following avenues:
    • Honors-designated sections of regular courses, including all GenEd courses. For a list of specific courses offered each semester, see Honors Coursework.
    • Honors-Option contracts to gain Honors credits for any course at UW-W or at Study Abroad institutions
    • Honors 498 courses (1 credit, graded S/NC, and repeatable up to six times)
    • Honors Exchange Credits (Honors Pathway 2), see Honors Exchange Credits page for more details.
  • In order to earn Honors Credits in a specific course (whether in a designated Honors course or by way of an H-Option contract), a student must earn at least a B (not a B-) in the course.

Retention Requirements

In addition to completing the necessary Honors coursework, a student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.4 to graduate with University Honors. (The GPA requirement for Honors in the Major may be higher than 3.4. Please consult the Honors Director or the specific department in charge of the Honors in the Major for this information.) Progress toward completion of the program is also required.