ADA Appeals Policy and Process
If you are a current CSD student who is denied an approved CSD accommodation:
Level 1 Informal
- If the University, a department, program or faculty is not willing to provide an approved CSD accommodation, contact your key contact immediately. It is UWW's policy that a CSD approved accommodation is implemented during an appeal process.
- At no time during an appeal process shall a student be harassed or have a negative consequence as a result of filing an appeal.
- CSD may recommend that you first have a discussion with the individual or instructional staff regarding the issue.
Level 2 Formal
- If the issue is not resolved between the student and the individual denying the approved CSD accommodation, then the student can file a written appeal with the Director of the Center for Students with Disabilities within seven (7) calendar days after receipt of the individual denying the approved CSD accommodation.
- During the appeal process the approved CSD accommodation will be implemented until a final decision is made.
- The appellate review will be based on the information and materials in the case file, the key contact findings and recommendations and rational provided by the individual denying the approved CSD accommodation.
- The Director of CSD may affirm, modify or reverse the decision of an individual denying the approved CSD accommodation, or at his or her discretion, refer the matter to the Department Chair, Department Dean, appropriated Director of Services, ADA Coordinator or the Dean of Student Life. The Director of CSD shall notify the student and individual denying the approved CSD accommodation in writing of his or her decision within fifteen (15) calendar days after the appeal is received.
If you are a student who has been denied a requested auxiliary aid, service, accommodation or disability determination by the Director of CSD:
- Within seven (7) calendar days after receipt of the decision of CSD, the student may request in writing appellate review by the Dean of Students or his or her designee. The request to the Dean of Students shall be in writing, and shall include a brief statement of the grounds for appeal. The grounds for appeal shall be that:
- There was substantial failure by the Director of CSD to comply with these procedures so as to deny a fair review of the request, or
- The decision of the Director of CSD was not supported by the evidence.
- The appellate review will be based on the information and materials in the case file, the Director of CSD's findings and recommendations and the student's written request for appellate review.
- The Dean of Students may affirm, modify or reverse the decision of the Director of CSD, or at his or her discretion, refer the matter to the Director of CSD for further review and decision. The Dean of Students shall notify the student in writing of his or her decision within fifteen (15) calendar days after the appeal is received. The decision of the Dean of Students shall be final and not subject to further review.
Students are encouraged to consult the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities regarding other applicable procedures.