UW-Whitewater at Rock County Apply Now »

Student Services

The Warhawk Solution Center is the one stop for all UW-Whitewater at Rock County student questions. The Warhawk Solution Center staff can help answer questions you may have about admissions, financial aid, course registration, accessibility services, Veterans services, mental health services, career services, transferring process, WINS, grades, academic advising, student life and involvement, and campus events.

Location: 104 Hyatt Smith Hall, UWW Rock County campus.

Hours: Our office is open Monday-Friday from 8 AM - 4:30 PM.  Stop by our office, call us at 608-758-6541, or email uwwrockinfo@uww.edu with any questions you may have. (Holidays may impact hours of operation).

Contact us: 608-758-6541, uwwrockinfo@uww.edu

Our staff:

Kristin Fillhouer - Associate Dean for Administration and Student Services 

Sarah Harvey - Admissions Representative 

Sara Koch - Academic Advisor

  • 608-898-5035 - Kochs@uww.edu
  • Advises students with last names A-H
  • Veterans campus contact

Karen Greenler - Academic Advisor 

Stacy Randall - Academic Advisor 

  • 608-898-5036 - Randalls@uww.edu
  • Advises students with last names N-Z
  • International student advisor

Janine Peterson - Student Life and Events Coordinator

Ali Potratz - Disability Services Coordinator

Ashley Mallu - Student Services Specialist for Information

How do I apply to the University of Wisconsin Whitewater at Rock County?

Can I apply to both UW Whitewater and UW Whitewater at Rock County?

  • Yes, students may apply to both campuses.
  • Students only need to submit their transcripts one time and pay the application fee once for both applications.
  • If students are selected to both campuses they will eventually be required to designate their intended campus.

How do I visit UW Whitewater at Rock County?

Who do I contact to check on my application?

Will my AP, CLEP, DSST, or IB exam scores count as college credits?

I've been admitted, now what?

  • Set up your UWW credentials
    • Visit password.uww.edu and select the log-in button on the left side of your screen.
    • The first time you log in you will use your username as your Net-ID, and your password will be your 7-digit ID number (this information can be found on your admission letter). 
    • You will be prompted to change your password.
    • Once your password is changed, you can access all university accounts using your Net-ID and new password.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    • The FAFSA is available at fafsa.ed.gov. Use FAFSA code: 003926 for University of Wisconsin Whitewater.
  • Register for placement testing *See note below*
    • Register for placement testing at through your WINS account for the UWW Rock County campus.
    • All incoming freshmen are required to take placement testing for math and an English writing prompt. World language placement testing is optional (Spanish, German and French).
    • Questions about placement testing? Contact Janine Peterson at 608-898-5033 or petersjm@uww.edu
  • Register for Warhawks SOAR *See note below*
    • Learn more about the university, meet with academic advisors, and register for your classes.
    • Registration for Warhawks SOAR will be available in your WINS account starting March 2, 2020.
      • To register for SOAR you must go through the following steps:

        • Log into your WINS account.
        • Click on the Warhawks SOAR tile under "Student Home".
        • Complete the registration process. 

Please Note: 

Due to COVID-19 policies, we are no longer requiring placement testing for fall 2021 enrollment.  We will be using ACT scores and other measures to place you in to Math, English and World Language courses, so no sign up for Placement Test is required. 

Due to COVID-19 policies Warhawk SOAR sessions will be held virtually. This virtual experience will still allow you to learn more about the University, connect with other new Warhawks, and engage in the academic advising process for course registration.

When do I complete my FAFSA?

  • The FAFSA opens October 1st for the following academic year (i.e. October 1st 2019 for the 2020-2021 academic year)
  • Students can fill out the FAFSA as soon as they know they plan to attend college
  • Additional financial aid process information can be found on the UW-Whitewater Financial Aid website.

What FAFSA code should I use for UW-Whitewater at Rock County

  • You should use the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater code 003926 
  • If you are undecided and plan to attend either UW-Whitewater at Rock County OR UW-Whitewater, you can use the 003926 code.
  • Please note that you will not receive an award letter until you have designated a chosen campus.  To designate a campus, please contact UW-Whitewater Admissions.

How do I know if I have been awarded financial aid?

  • You will be able to view your financial aid award in your WINS account once you have been awarded. Your award will include any grants and/or loans you are eligible for.
  • Be sure to check your WINS account for any additional information or verifications requested by the UW-Whitewater Financial Aid office.

Can I use scholarships to help pay for tuition?

What is a financial aid refund?

  • If you have been awarded financial aid, it will automatically disperse toward your tuition and fees. If there is any financial aid monies left over once this has happened, the overage will be given to you in the form of a refund. You can set up direct deposit for your refund. If you do not set up direct deposit you will recieve a check in the mail to the address listed in your WINS account.

Questions about financial aid?

Hello Future Warhawk! Thank you for logging on to sign up for the UW-Whitewater at Rock County Placement Test.  Due to COVID-19 policies, we are no longer requiring placement testing for fall 2021 enrollment.  We will be using ACT scores and other measures to place you in to Math, English and Foreign Language courses, so no sign up for Placement Test is required. 


At this time, please go to your WINS account, sign in and complete the SOAR Orientation Registration process. If you have questions, please contact our Warhawk Solution Center at 608.758.6541.  Have a great day!


During the unprecedented COVID-19 situation, health and safety remain our top priority.  As a result, all Warhawks SOAR programs will now be taking place virtually.  This virtual experience will still allow you to learn more about the University, connect with other new Warhawks, and engage in the academic advising process for course registration.


Please note: your SOAR date still matters!  Please go to your WINS account to register for an upcoming SOAR. You will be advised on or around that date.  More details about the next steps to complete will be emailed to you approximately 10 days prior to the date for which you registered.  Continue to check your emails for up to date information.


Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you throughout the virtual Warhawks SOAR experience!

Why do I need to see an advisor?

  • Advising is most effective when it is viewed as an ongoing process in which the students and the advisors work as partners. Students must continuously work with their advisors to develop comprehensive academic plans that lead to successful career planning.

How do I know who my advisor is?

  • Your academic advisor will be listed on your WINS account. Log into WINS and click AAR - Based on Course Units > Advisors

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

  • Make an appointment using Navigate. Schedule your own advising appointment by going to uww.navigate.eab.com and log in with your UW-W credentials OR download the Navigate Student app from Google Play or Apple App Store. 
  • Contact the Warhawk Solution Center to make an appointment with your advisor, 608-758-6541 

UWW Rock County Academic Advisors are:

  • Dave Carlson (Advises TRiO students)
  • Karen Greenler (Advises students w/ last names I-M and UW-Platteville Engineering Collaborative)
  • Julie Janiak (Advises TRiO students)
  • Sara Koch (Advises students w/ last names A-H)
  • David McKay (Advises TRiO students)
  • Stacy Randall (Advises students w/ last names N-Z and all international students)

I am a new student; how do I register for classes?

  • All new students will participate in a required Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) to be orientated to campus and select courses for the upcoming semester.
  • New students should check their WINS account for available SOAR dates.

I am a continuing student; how do I register for classes? 

  • All students are given a designated Registration Start Time. Review your Enrollment Appointment on your WINS account.  You will be able to begin registration for classes at your given day and time
  • You can schedule an advising appointment with your advisor
    • advisor information can be found in your WINS account
    • Contact the Warhawk Solution Center to make an appointment with your advisor, 608-758-6541.
  • You can utilize the Schedule of Classes to choose your desired courses based on what is available.

Where do I find a list of classes that are offered?

To Register for classes:

  • Log into WINS.
  • Click the TERM that you wish to search for classes and search for classes by entering a KEYWORD (course, subject, class, topic, etc.).
  • Click the COURSE that you wish to add, then click desired SECTION.
  • Review your class and click NEXT.
    • NOTE: if a PERMISSION NUMBER has been granted by the department/instructor, this will need to be entered here.
  • Review the class grading basis, update accordingly, and click ACCEPT.
  • Click whether you wish to enroll into the course right away or add the course to your Shopping Cart, click NEXT.
  • Review the final course details, click SUBMIT.
    • NOTE: classes will be held in your enrollment shopping cart until you either enroll in them or delete them.
    • NOTE: If you add classes to your shopping cart before your enrollment appointment begins, an ENROLL button will not be present.  The ENROLL button will only appear once your enrollment appointment has opened.

How do I view my student bill?

  • Your student billing information will be in your WINS account.
  • All student account billing and other communications from Student Accounts are sent through your UW-W email account. Be sure to check it regularly!
    • No paper bills will be mailed to you.
    • Be sure to keep adequate space in your UWW email inbox.

    • Failure to receive an e-billing statement will not relieve you from your obligation to make a timely payment.

    • You can set up Parents, Grandparents etc. as “Authorized Users” in your TouchNet account. 

How do I authorize another person to ask questions about my account?

  • There are two options for a student to allow a parent, spouse or guardian (or any other person) access to billing information or access to contact Student Accounts with questions regarding their account. "Authorized Users" - allows access to view/pay bills. "Authorization for release of information" - allows specified individuals to contact the student accounts office with questions regarding the students account.

    Authorized Users

    Authorized users are set up through the billing site. Login to WINS  click on "Student Financial Account" tile, click on "Make a Payment" tile - this will launch you into TouchNet (net ID and password are the same as on WINS).  Once logged in, click on the "Authorized Users" tab on the right side of the page and follow the prompts. You will simply enter the email address of those you wish to receive notifications.  The user will receive an email with a login and temporary password that they will need to change. After the authorized user is set up, that person will receive future e-Bill notifications when there is a new bill to review. Only the student can reset a users password if it is lost, or forgotten or they get locked out. They need to take the authorized users email address out, save the record, and put the email address back in. This will send a new messge to the authorized user and a new temporary password, which the user can then reset themselves. 

    Authorization for release of information

    The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1976, as amended, is a federal law that affords students certain rights and protects their privacy and confidentiality with respect to their educational records.  If you would like to allow specified individuals access to your financial records, complete an Release of Information form for Student Accounts and Financial Aid form.  This form is completed online:

    • Log In to WINS
    • Select the Student Financial Account tile
    • Select the Account Inquiry tile
    • Click on Release Financial Info

    This will allow the person authorized to contact Student Accounts or Financial aid to ask questions about your account. This form does not authorize access to receive an E-Bill or access to your the WINS Account.

What charges will be on my bill?

  • Students will be charged undergratuate tuition rates for the UWW Rock County campus based on number of credits taken, WI residency, etc. The UWW Rock County tuition rate per term can be found on the UWW Financial Services Tuition and Fees website.
  • Students will be charged the following fees their first semester only at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Rock County
    • New Student/SOAR Fee $150
    • Placement Test Fee $35
    • Enrollment Deposit $100
      • UW-Whitewater undergraduate students are required to pay a one-time $100 enrollment deposit. This deposit remains on the student account during enrollment at the university. The deposit will roll forward to the next term as a deposit for that term, and is refundable when the student leaves UW Whitewater. Enrollment deposits should be paid at the time of your registration to attend a Warhawks SOAR session. Questions regarding the Enrollment deposit can be directed to Student Accounts at sfs@uww.edu or 262-472-1373.

        Enrollment Deposit Refund

        At separation from the University, the student may be entitled to a refund of the $100 enrollment deposit. The deposit must be requested, and the student must have paid all obligations owed to the university. If the deposit is requested, but the student has a balance on his/her account, the refund will be applied to the balance. To request a refund of the deposit, download the Enrollment Deposit Refund Request Form found at http://www.uww.edu/adminaffairs/finance/cashiers-office/forms and submit to Student Accounts. The request will not be processed until approximately 8 weeks after the end of the term to allow for any remaining charges to be processed. The refund will be sent via direct deposit to the bank account in the TouchNet system, or paper check will be mailed to the address on file with the University. The student has one year (12 months after the final day of classes) to request and qualify for the refund. Unclaimed enrollment deposits are deposited into a UW-Whitewater scholarship fund. Questions regarding the Enrollment Deposit refund can be directed to Student Accounts at sfs@uww.edu or 262-472-1373.

  •  In addition to tuition, students will be charged a $6.33 per credit fee for textbooks each semester.
  • Segregated Fees, which are determined by the Student Government Association each year, will also be charged to each student's account. 

What are my Payment Options?

  • Online. The fastest (and easiest) way make a payment toward your student bill is to use touchnet.uww.edu, the online student billing system.
    • You may use your checking/savings account or credit/debit card for online payments 
      • Checking/Savings account: Electronic payments made from your checking or savings accounts do NOT have a convenience fee.  It's FREE!
      • Credit/debit card: Payments can be made online using MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. There is a 2.85% convenience fee (minimum $3.00) charged when making a credit card payment. Debit card payments are treated as credit card payments and will be charged the same convenience fee.
  • In Person. Payments can be made on campus at UW-W Cashier’s Office between the hours of 8:00-3:30 Monday-Friday in Hyer Hall room 110. The depository outside the University Cashier’s Office is available when Hyer Hall is open. Credit and debit cards are not accepted at the cashier’s window.
  • By mail. Make checks payable to UW-Whitewater and mail to UW-W Cashier's Office | P.O. Box 88 | Whitewater, WI 53190
    • Include student name and student ID number on check
    • Payment must be recieved by Cashier's Office by due date in order to be considered on time 
  • International Payments 

Can I use scholarships to help pay for tuition?

What happens if I don't pay my bill?

  • It is important to have your student account balance paid in full by the due date. Once an account becomes past due, there is a risk your current or upcoming classes may be cancelled. In addition, the student will be unable to register for future terms, receive transcripts, or their diploma and a 1.25% finance charge will be added to any past due balance. This finance charge will be assessed each billing period until the student account is paid current.
  • Please do not hesitate to reach out to Student Accounts and ask for help if you find yourself with a past due balance.

Additional information about student accounts and billing can be found on the UW-Whitewater Financial Services website.


    How do I view my grades?

    • Grades are posted at the end of each semester and can be viewed on WINS
      • Log into WINS
      • Click GRADES
      • Click the correct TERM
      • NOTE: If a class does not show a grade, grades may not have been posted yet.

    Can I take a class over for a better grade?

    • Students may repeat a limited number of courses in which they earned a grade of D, F, or NC in order to have those grades replaced. Students may not repeat for credit or grade replacement any course in which they earned a grade of C, S or higher. For further information on the repeat policy, check the most recent published Schedule of Classes, the online Schedule of Classes or the Undergraduate Catalog.

    Can I take a course on a pass/fail basis?

    • If you wish to change the grading basis for a class in which you are enrolled, you can do so on WINSthrough the tenth day of the semester for full term courses, or the fifth day for shorter courses. You can find the specific date in the schedule of classes or the academic calendar.
    • A tutorial on how to adjust your course units is available online.
    • Verify this change on your schedule, go to the Academics section and under "other academics' selection select Class Schedule. Make sure you select the correct term.

    How do I calculate my GPA?

    • Your UWW GPA is calculated by dividing your total number of honor points by the total number of graded units you attempted. 
    • If you feel there is an error in the calculation of your GPA, please contact the Registrar's Office. Be sure to include your name, phone number and UWW student ID number in any correspondence with the Registrar's Office.

    What is the "W" grade?

    • It means a "Withdrawal" from a class, thus earning 0 units for the class. It indicates that you were enrolled in the class through the first ten days of the semester, or the first five days in an eight week course or summer session. A "W" does not affect your grade point average in any way. It simply means you dropped the course.

    What is WINS?

    • WINS is your student account and contains all your student information including, but not limited to grades, enrollment, financial aid, billing, housing, and to-do lists
    • You should check WINS on a regular basis
    • For help accessing WINS, contact UW-W helpdesk
    • For help navigating WINS go to WINS How-To’s

    How do I set up my WINS account as a first-time user?

    • Visit password.uww.edu and select the log-in button on the left side of your screen.
    • The next page will require a username and password. Your username is your Net-ID, and your password will be your 7-digit ID number (both your Net-ID and ID number can be found on your admission letter)
    • You will then be prompted to change your password.
    • Once your password is changed, you can access all university accounts using your Net-ID and new password.

    I can't log in to WINS, what now?

    • If  you are experiencing difficulties logging into WINS please contact UWW ICIT for help, 262-472-4357 or helpdesk@uww.edu

    I am done with my courses at UW-Whitewater at Rock County and want to go to UW-Whitewater main campus-what do I do?

    • Complete the UWW change of campus online form.
      • Note: You need only complete the online form.  No transcripts are needed for students going right from Rock to Whitewater.
      • When completing the form, you will be required to choose and participate in a Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) session at the UW-Whitewater campus. You will choose your classes during SOAR.

    I am done with my courses at UW-Whitewater at Rock County and want to go to another UW-System School?

    • You will need to complete a UW-System application
    • You will be applying as a transfer student
    • You will be required to submit transcripts from high school and all higher education institutions.
    • Students who attended UW-Rock County prior to September 1, 2019 will need to order a transcript through former UW Colleges
    • Students who attended the UW-W Rock County campus after September 1, 2019 will need to order a transcript through UW-Whitewater
    • Student who attended UW-Rock County prior to September 1, 2019 AND after September 1, 2019 are encouraged to order transcripts from BOTH UW Colleges AND UW-Whitewater

    Can I participate in UW System Guaranteed Transfer?

    Where can I find transfer guides for UW System 4-year campuses?

    Below are some transfer guides to get you started on your transfer journey. It is always best to check with each four-year campus for their specific admissions dates and requirements when transferring.

    Is textbook rental free?

    • Textbook Rental is a service included in UW-Whitewater's undergraduate tuition and technically not "free." A minimal segregated fee is paid for each semester to use the Textbook Rental program. It is approximately $85 a semester. This cost covers any textbooks checked out from Textbook Rental. There are no payments made at the Textbook Rental checkout.

     Are all of my books in Textbook Rental?

    • Not always. Though the majority of Undergraduate Students' required textbooks will be in Textbook Rental, some departments do have required purchases. Books students must purchase are typically novels, online access codes, lab manuals, or textbooks with constantly changing content.

     Can I have my books shipped to me?

    • Yes. There is a form on the UW-Whitewater Textbook Rental website that will need to be filled out as thoroughly as possible. Once submitted the in-store turnaround is usually less than 24 hours. Shipping does have a minimal cost associated with it, and can take up to a week most places in the U.S. Upon request, we can expedite shipping if the student is willing to pay the extra costs. We do not recommend international shipping.

     How do I use Textbook Rental?

    • Textbook Rental works in two phases: check-out and return.
      • Checkouts: Students are responsible for finding their own textbooks in Textbook Rental. A student ID (Hawk Card) and a copy of the student's schedule are required to check out textbooks. The copy of the class schedule need to list the Class Department, Course Number, and Section Number (Ex: ENGLISH 101, Section 05). The shelves are arranged alphabetically by department, then numerically by course number. Each book being used that semester will have a sign underneath it with the course information. Match up the department, course, and section number on the sign to the class schedule and the book listed on the tag will be the one you need. After finding all the required textbooks, check out at the registers using your Hawk Card. Every book has an individual barcode that assigns the specific book to your account.
      • Returns: When returning textbooks, check-in at the registers first. Textbooks that are not checked back in will still be attached to your account and listed as "unreturned," resulting in late fees or even being fully charged to your account. You will receive another receipt after checking your books back in. Double check that receipt to make certain all books were scanned properly. Students must then re-shelve their own books. Return the books to the correct shelf. If you can't locate where the book goes, please ask for assistance.

    Connect with the UW-W Rock County Bookstore for more info, 608-758-6540. 

    What is a HawkCard and what can I do with it?

    • Students at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Rock County campus will have an ID card (HawkCard) that will allow them to access meal plans, purple points and main campus activities.
    • Purple Points can be used at the Rockin’ Grill and UWW main campus dining facilities.
    • Students can use their HawkCard to participate in Rock and main campus activities.
    • Students with a UW-Whitewater at Rock County HawkCard are able to access the following main campus services:

    How do I get my HawkCard?

    • UW-W Rock County campus: Go to the Warhawk Solution Center located in Hyatt Smith Hall (Janesville)
    • UW-W main campus: Go to the HawkCard office located in the University Center (Whitewater)

    What do I need to know about being an international student at UWW Rock County?

    • Information about becoming an international student at the UWW Rock County campus can be found on the UWW International webpage. You may also contact Tatiana Fadeeva, International Admissions Representative, at fadeevat@uww.edu.
    Campus Location

    2909 Kellogg Avenue
    Janesville, WI 53546

    Admissions Office

    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    Roseman Building 2060 
    800 West Main Street
    Whitewater, WI 53190-1791

    Follow us

    Facebook  Twitter