UW-Whitewater at Rock County


Welcome College of Integrated Studies students! This page contains specific resources for you to help navigate your educational journey. Check out information on each of our departments, get involved in a student organization, or find other campus resources below.

Student Government

Student Organizations

Competitive Sports

Free Shuttle (Janesville - Whitewater)

Books and Dining

Bookstore information »
Textbook Rental »

University Bookstore
724 W. Starin Road
Whitewater, WI 53190

University Bookstore for Rock County
2909 Kellogg Ave.
Janesville, WI 53546

Is textbook rental free?

  • Textbook Rental is a service included in UW-Whitewater's undergraduate tuition and technically not "free." A minimal segregated fee is paid for each semester to use the Textbook Rental program. It is approximately $85 a semester. This cost covers any textbooks checked out from Textbook Rental. There are no payments made at the Textbook Rental checkout.

 Are all of my books in Textbook Rental?

  • Not always. Though the majority of Undergraduate Students' required textbooks will be in Textbook Rental, some departments do have required purchases. Books students must purchase are typically novels, online access codes, lab manuals, or textbooks with constantly changing content.

 Can I have my books shipped to me?

  • Yes. There is a form on the UW-Whitewater Textbook Rental website that will need to be filled out as thoroughly as possible. Once submitted the in-store turnaround is usually less than 24 hours. Shipping does have a minimal cost associated with it, and can take up to a week most places in the U.S. Upon request, we can expedite shipping if the student is willing to pay the extra costs. We do not recommend international shipping.

 How do I use Textbook Rental?

  • Textbook Rental works in two phases: check-out and return.
    • Checkouts: Students are responsible for finding their own textbooks in Textbook Rental. A student ID (Hawk Card) and a copy of the student's schedule are required to check out textbooks. The copy of the class schedule need to list the Class Department, Course Number, and Section Number (Ex: ENGLISH 101, Section 05). The shelves are arranged alphabetically by department, then numerically by course number. Each book being used that semester will have a sign underneath it with the course information. Match up the department, course, and section number on the sign to the class schedule and the book listed on the tag will be the one you need. After finding all the required textbooks, check out at the registers using your Hawk Card. Every book has an individual barcode that assigns the specific book to your account.
    • Returns: When returning textbooks, check-in at the registers first. Textbooks that are not checked back in will still be attached to your account and listed as "unreturned," resulting in late fees or even being fully charged to your account. You will receive another receipt after checking your books back in. Double check that receipt to make certain all books were scanned properly. Students must then re-shelve their own books. Return the books to the correct shelf. If you can't locate where the book goes, please ask for assistance.

Connect with the UW-W Rock County Bookstore for more info, 608-758-6540. 

The Rockin' Grill is located in the Hyatt Smith Hall Commons area and is open on class days for meals and snacks. A variety of soups and hot entrees are available, as well as prepared salads and sandwiches. A made-to-order menu is also available most days with a tasty selection of hot sandwiches, quesadillas and more.


  • Monday-Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
  • Friday: Closed 
  • Closed during academic break periods and summer.


Soda, juices, milk, snacks and other items are available from vending machines located in lower level lobbies of Williams Hall, Hyatt Smith Hall and Wells Cultural Center.


How do I view my grades?

  • Grades are posted at the end of each semester and can be viewed on WINS
    • Log into WINS
    • Click GRADES
    • Click the correct TERM
    • NOTE: If a class does not show a grade, grades may not have been posted yet.

Can I take a class over for a better grade?

  • Students may repeat a limited number of courses in which they earned a grade of D, F, or NC in order to have those grades replaced. Students may not repeat for credit or grade replacement any course in which they earned a grade of C, S or higher. For further information on the repeat policy, check the most recent published Schedule of Classes, the online Schedule of Classes or the Undergraduate Catalog.

Can I take a course on a pass/fail basis?

  • If you wish to change the grading basis for a class in which you are enrolled, you can do so on WINSthrough the tenth day of the semester for full term courses, or the fifth day for shorter courses. You can find the specific date in the schedule of classes or the academic calendar.
  • A tutorial on how to adjust your course units is available online.
  • Verify this change on your schedule, go to the Academics section and under "other academics' selection select Class Schedule. Make sure you select the correct term.

How do I calculate my GPA?

  • Your UWW GPA is calculated by dividing your total number of honor points by the total number of graded units you attempted. 
  • If you feel there is an error in the calculation of your GPA, please contact the Registrar's Office. Be sure to include your name, phone number and UWW student ID number in any correspondence with the Registrar's Office.

What is the "W" grade?

  • It means a "Withdrawal" from a class, thus earning 0 units for the class. It indicates that you were enrolled in the class through the first ten days of the semester, or the first five days in an eight week course or summer session. A "W" does not affect your grade point average in any way. It simply means you dropped the course.

What do I need to know about being an international student at UWW Rock County?

Hello Future Warhawk! Thank you for logging on to sign up for the UW-Whitewater at Rock County Placement Test. Due to COVID-19 policies, we are no longer requiring placement testing. We will be using ACT scores and other measures to place you in to Math, English and Foreign Language courses, so no sign up for Placement Test is required. 

At this time, please go to your WINS account, sign in and complete the SOAR Orientation Registration process. If you have questions, please contact our Warhawk Solution Center at 608.758.6541.  Have a great day!

I am done with my courses at UW-Whitewater at Rock County and want to go to UW-Whitewater main campus-what do I do?

  • Complete the UW-Whitewater change of campus online form.
    • Note: You need only complete the online form.  No transcripts are needed for students going right from Rock to Whitewater.
    • When completing the form, you will be required to choose and participate in a Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) session at the UW-Whitewater campus. You will choose your classes during SOAR.

I am done with my courses at UW-Whitewater at Rock County and want to go to another UW-System School?

  • You will need to complete a UW System application
  • You will be applying as a transfer student
  • You will be required to submit transcripts from high school and all higher education institutions.
  • Students who attended UW-Rock County prior to September 1, 2019 will need to order a transcript through former UW Colleges
  • Students who attended the UW-Whitewater Rock County campus after September 1, 2019 will need to order a transcript through UW-Whitewater
  • Student who attended UW-Rock County prior to September 1, 2019 AND after September 1, 2019 are encouraged to order transcripts from BOTH UW Colleges AND UW-Whitewater

Can I participate in UW System Guaranteed Transfer?

Where can I find transfer guides for UW System 4-year campuses?

Below are some transfer guides to get you started on your transfer journey. It is always best to check with each four-year campus for their specific admissions dates and requirements when transferring.

Looking for academic support, career guidance and other services to help you succeed? The Rock County campus is proud to be a TRIO campus that offers equal educational opportunities for all eligible students.

Learn more »

The Learning Support Center offers free tutoring to all UW-Whitewater at Rock County students in math, writing, and other academic subjects. Call 608-758-6535 or use the Navigate app to schedule an appointment, or visit the center in the lower level of Andrews Hall.  Drop-in assistance may be available. The Learning Support Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some tutoring may be online via Webex or Zoom, but tutors are also available to meet in person.

What is WINS?

  • WINS is your student account and contains all your student information including, but not limited to grades, enrollment, financial aid, billing, housing, and to-do lists
  • You should check WINS on a regular basis
  • For help accessing WINS, contact UW-W helpdesk
  • For help navigating WINS go to WINS How-To’s

How do I set up my WINS account as a first-time user?

  • Visit password.uww.edu and select the log-in button on the left side of your screen.
  • The next page will require a username and password. Your username is your Net-ID, and your password will be your 7-digit ID number (both your Net-ID and ID number can be found on your admission letter)
  • You will then be prompted to change your password.
  • Once your password is changed, you can access all university accounts using your Net-ID and new password.

I can't log in to WINS, what now?

Financial Matters and Safety

What is a HawkCard and what can I do with it?

  • Students at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Rock County campus will have an ID card (HawkCard) that will allow them to access meal plans, purple points and main campus activities.
  • Purple Points can be used at the Rockin’ Grill and UWW main campus dining facilities.
  • Students can use their HawkCard to participate in Rock and main campus activities.
  • Students with a UW-Whitewater at Rock County HawkCard are able to access the following main campus services:

How do I get my HawkCard?

  • UW-W Rock County campus: Go to the Warhawk Solution Center located in Hyatt Smith Hall (Janesville)
  • UW-W main campus: Go to the HawkCard office located in the University Center (Whitewater)

Students have the opportunity to work on campus for several departments at the UWW Rock campus. Many students benefit from working part-time while going to college.  Student employment is a great way to assist with paying for the cost to attend college and helps students develop skills and gain work experience for future success in the career world. Many of these positions require Federal Work Study acceptance through financial aid. Contact the UWW Rock Solution Center at 608-758-6541 for more information about student employment and work study.  

Current positions at the UWW Rock campus include...

Solution Center Assistant

  • Greet students and all guests 
  • Make appointments for advisors and other staff
  • Answer phone and return messages
  • Return emails
  • Help answer frequently asked questions
  • Assist with projects
  • Customer service experience
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Library Assistant

  • Create displays
  • Learn to use college databases
  • Help students find academic materials
  • Customer service experience
  • Technology training
  • Check in/check out materials
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Dean's Office/Academic Affairs/Administrative Affairs Office Assistant

  • Filing
  • Scheduling
  • General office work
  • Reception
  • Social Media management
  • Additional tasks as assigned

TRiO/LSC Resource Assistant

  • Provide first point of contact in person and via phone
  • Direct students to appropriate resources
  • Make appointments with advisors and other staff
  • Assist with TRiO/LSC projects as needed
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Learning Support Center (LSC) Tutor

  • Assist fellow students one-on-one and in small groups
  • Help others with test preperation and assignments in math, science and writing intensive courses
  • Meet with instructors and/or attend lectures as necessary 
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Biology Lab Assistant

  • Prepare materials for biology laboratories and demonstrations
  • Help maintain lab facilities
  • Perform lab prep room tasks relating to organization, cleaning and inventory
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Chemistry Lab Assistant

  • Prepare materials for chemistry laboratories and demonstrations
  • Help manage lab stockroom tasks on organization, cleaning and inventory
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Placement Test Proctor

  • Assist with placement tests and set up
  • Greet and check in students for placement testing
  • Distribute and review testing materials and testing instructions
  • Monitor students taking tests
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Hawk Squad

  • Give tours of campus
  • Assist with SOAR (Student Orientation and Registration)
  • Participate on student panels and other campus events as needed
  • Be "Willie the Warhawk" for special events (Optional)
  • Additional tasks as assigned

Student Life and Events Assistant

  • Assist Student Life and Events Coordinator with event planning
  • Help with implementation of campus clubs and organizations
  • Assist with placement testing as needed
  • Assist with SOARs as needed
  • Assist with events and activities for Student Government Association (SGA)
  • Additional tasks as assigned


  • Assist students with finding textbooks and other materials for classes
  • Use register to complete transactions
  • Assist with stocking textbooks at beginning and end of semesters
  • Additional tasks as assigned

We know affordability is important to you. On top of our already exceptional value, at UW-Whitewater at Rock County we award thousands of dollars in scholarships to help you pay for your education.

Read more about scholarships »

Information about student accounts and billing can be found on the UW-Whitewater Financial Services website.

UWW Rock County may at times use photographs, audio, and/or video recordings of employees and students for purposes of education, publicity, and student recruitment on behalf of the university, via the Internet, print publications, and other media.

Public Spaces & Events

Please be advised that images and videos taken in public spaces and/or at public events do not require authorization for publication. Your presence in or around college facilities and/or properties, as well as at off-campus university-sponsored events, constitutes your consent to the capture and/or use of your image and/or voice by UWW Rock County and waives any claims or rights, whether in law or in equity.

Please contact UW-Whitewater University Marketing and Communications with any questions regarding photo usage and photo opt-out options.

Safety Reports and Statistics »

Emergency System Alerts »

Sexual Misconduct Information (Title IX) »

Severe Weather

If you choose not to attend class due to weather conditions, please  e-mail your instructor. Please keep in mind that if you miss class, you are responsible for making up the work. The campus can only be closed by order of the chancellor or governor.

UWW Rock County Student Government Association

2023-2024 UW-Whitewater at Rock County Student Government Association (SGA)

President: Maria Pacheco

Vice President: Nate Eaton

Chief of Staff: Nick Indermuehle

Treasurer: Nick Hernandez Spring 24; Gabe Gotcher Fall 23

Senator: Guadalupe Bustos

Senator: Aster Cross

Senator: Trenton Lambert

Senator: Perla Yescas

SGA Office Email: RCK-SGA@uww.edu

SGA Advisor:  Janine Peterson, Student Life and Events Coordinator, petersjm@uww.edu or 608-898-5033

Student government representatives are able to serve as voting members on a variety of committees for SGA and the College of Integrated Studies. 

  • SUFAC (Student University Fee Allocation Committee)
  • Curriculum
  • Safety and Facilities
  • Recruitment and Retention
  • Programing Board (formerly Performing Arts and Lecture Series)
  • Inclusive Excellence and International Education

Student Organizations

Alliance offers a safe place for al l students to relax and feel comfortable. The club provides information and accessibility for students to gain know ledge and understanding of the LGBTQ+ Community.  The club sponsors the Break the Silence Ball for students and the public. 

Advisor: Nate Maddux.

A new club ratified in the spring of 2021. The purpose of the club is to provide a place for like-minded individuals with an appreciation for all things engineering to get to know each other. Activities include forming study groups, linking students with the UW Platteville Engineering Partnership, the UW Whitewater main campus and other students as well as giving the students an opportunity to give back to the campus and community. 

The Green Scene works to provide a network of environmental and social information that reaches out to local com munities through act ion and education. Stu dents can participate in activities such as planting trees, gardening, campus and community clean-up, environmental lectures, and other activities that meet the club's mission.

Advisors: Amy Burns and Bob McCallister

An arena for literary and visual arts through publication of the Rock River Review, the annual campus literary magazine and RockRiverReview.com. Students learn how to develop a magazine from start to finish picking what will be published, editing the publication, and designing the cover. Features include short fiction, poetry, essays, prose poems, musical scores, photography, illustrations, and other media for print.  Students also compete in the Community College Humanities Association Literary Magazine Competition. 

Advisor: Ken Brosky.

Provides fellowship on campus and is open to all students.  Intervarsity aims to equip students with leadership and personal growth opportunities.  Weekly meetings are held for conversation, study and prayer.  Intervarsity hosts a school­ wide spring Scavenger Hunt and pizza party as well as opportunities to attend leadership conferences. 

Advisor: Luke Francis 

The purpose of the club is to represent the Latino community of UWW Rock and to share the Latino Culture with all students and staff.  Latinos Unidos welcomes students and other university campus individuals interested in Latino culture. The club coordinates two events on campus: Dia De Los Muertos Ball (Day of the Dead Ball); and Cinco de Mayo celebration activities.  The club also collaborates with other clubs to plan a Culture Week in the spring semester.   

Advisor: Janine Peterson

The University of Wisconsin-Rock County campus offers many opportunities to pursue your interests in music. If you played an instrument in high school and you would like to continue for fun or professionally, check out these options: Choir, Jazz Band, Concert Band, Orchestra, campus musicals, and solo or small group music recitals. 

Advisor: Jeff Suarez

PTK has recognized academic excellence in the two year colleges since 1918 and is the largest, most prestigious two year college honor societies in the world. The Rock Campus Chapter is open to all students (not just PTK members). The club focuses on leadership development and coordination of an important campus tradition, the fall and spring Tutoring Extravaganzas held before finals week.  National Organization membership criteria include: completion of at least 12 credit hours of university level coursework at the Rock campus, cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.5, and full rights of citizenship in the United States. For more information contact advisors Kim Kostka or Tom Klubertanz.

A variety of recreational sports activities will be held weekly and throughout the fall and spring semester: Open Gym & Fitness Center, Open Video Games in Wells Cultural Center, Recreational and Board Game Check-outs, Bingo, Bag Toss Tournaments, Basketball (one-on-one, etc.) For more information contact Matt Schneider at SchneideMD30@uww.edu or Kristin Fillhouer at FillhoueKA22@uww.edu.

The chess club’s purpose is to gather and enjoy the art and fellowship of playing chess.  Any student is welcome.  The club shares a wide variety of skill levels ranging from beginner to advanced levels.  For more information contact Nick French

Sigma Delta Mu is the National Honor Society for Hispanic Studies for two-year colleges and has its foundation in Sigma Delta Pi, the nation’s largest honor society in the field of foreign language.  The purpose is to honor those who seek and attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language, literature, and culture of Spanish-speaking peoples.  Students must meet specific grade point average criteria and be invited for membership.  For more information contact advisor  Nate Maddux

The Rock Campus Chapter is educational and community focused with the goal to empower the residents of Rock County through literacy. SKD engages the student body in activities such as National Day on Writing, Banned Books Week, and National Poetry Month. They run collaborative projects with Head Start, Rock River Charter School, and Rock University High School. Any student can participate. National Organization criteria: 3.3 overall GPA and a grade of no less than a B in all English courses taken. For more information contact advisor John Pruitt

Ever have a desire to take on the big questions?  The challenge is best approached with the help of great company.  Look no further than Socrates Café, a weekly gathering of people from many diverse backgrounds with an aim at answering some of the most intimidating philosophical problems.  Come join us in our pursuit of true knowledge, and bring your own questions about our universe to be addressed.  For more information contact advisor  Richard Hanson.

The Rock Campus Theatre and Performing Arts Association is open to any student interested in any aspect of theatrical production including performance, technical theatre or management. Along with the hands on education and opportunity students receive through participation students across the university are able to be entertained and inspired by what is produced.  Two productions are offered each year along with workshops and other resources for students. For more information contact advisor Trevor Rees

UW-Whitewater Campus Resources

UW-Whitewater at Rock County students enjoy access to nearly all of campus resources available to students attending classes at the Whitewater campus. Select a category below, or see the full list of campus resources »

Campus Location

2909 Kellogg Avenue
Janesville, WI 53546

Admissions Office

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Roseman Building 2060 
800 West Main Street
Whitewater, WI 53190-1791

Follow us

Facebook  Twitter  YouTube Logo  LinkedIn Logo