UW-Whitewater at Rock County Apply Now »

About UW-Whitewater at Rock County

About us

Join the Warhawk Family and you’ll be on your way to a college degree and unlimited transfer and career opportunities. Our diverse students embark on a rewarding journey of academic advancement and personal growth in a supportive atmosphere. UW-Whitewater at Rock County's College of Integrated Studies combines the advantages of a small college with the resources of the world-class University of Wisconsin System. That makes our Rock County Campus your best path to a college degree and unlimited career opportunities. As an enrolled student at U Rock, you're a part of the Warhawk Family - and that means you can continue your education with a seamless transition to the main campus in Whitewater, or transfer to any school within the University of Wisconsin System.

You'll benefit from:

  • A strong curriculum that provides a solid foundation for success in more than 200 majors.
  • Small classes with an average of 24 students that allow for plenty of one-on-one attention, making the transition to college less stressful.
  • The lowest tuition in the University of Wisconsin System. Start here and you'll save thousands in tuition and fees in addition to thousands in housing costs if you live at home.
  • Approachable instructors who are known for going the extra mile to help students succeed during the critical first two years of college.
  • The Guaranteed Transfer Program, which ensures admission to the UW four-year campus of your choice, including UW-Whitewater and UW-Madison. Our students have the highest graduation rate among all transfer students.
  • Advisors who are readily available to help plan your course schedule, explain transfer options and examine career choices.

At the Rock County Campus, courses are designed for transfer within the UW System. The College of Integrated Studies is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association, so the credits you earn will be accepted by other colleges and universities in Wisconsin and throughout the country. When you decide to transfer to a baccalaureate institution, we will be there to assist you every step of the way!

About the Rock County Campus

UW-Whitewater's Rock County campus is located on nearly 50 rolling acres on Janesville's southwest side. A free, dedicated shuttle links the campus to UW-Whitewater’s main campus and the Van Galder JTS bus stop in Janesville.

Student Profile

  • 905 students enrolled
  • 48% of students are full time and 52% are part time
  • 33% of students are age 22 or older

Employee Profile

  • 125 employees
  • 96% of faculty have a Ph.D. or the highest degree in their field


Tuition for two semesters, full-time enrollment for Wisconsin residents at UW-Whitewater at Rock County is $5,297.10 in 2019-2020.

Campus Buildings

Most buildings are open Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and most administrative offices are open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Hours are subject to change depending on staffing and scheduled special events, and the campus may be closed for holidays or inclement weather or emergencies.

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Rock County

View a map of our campus buildings.

Directions to our campus:

2909 Kellogg Avenue
Janesville, WI 53546
Phone: 608-758-6565
Fax: 608-758-6564

Convenient to students in Rock and adjacent counties, UW-Whitewater’s Rock County campus is located off of Highway 51 in Janesville, at the intersection of Kellogg Avenue and South River Road, just minutes from I-90 and adjacent to the Rock River. A free, dedicated shuttle links the campus to UW-Whitewater’s main campus and the Van Galder JTS bus stop in Janesville.

Driving Directions

From Madison

Take I-90 south to the south side of Janesville. Take Exit 177 (Hwy. 11 West). Proceed about one mile west until you reach Hwy. 51 (Center Ave.). Turn right onto Hwy. 51 and continue about one mile until you reach Kellogg Ave. Turn left (west) onto Kellogg Ave. and continue for about one mile. The campus is on the left (south) side of Kellogg Ave.

From Beloit

Take Hwy. 51 north to Janesville. Hwy. 51 will become Center Ave. in Janesville. When you reach Kellogg Ave., turn left (west) and continue for about one mile. The campus is on the left (south) side of Kellogg Ave.

From Chicago

Take I-90 north to the south side of Janesville, and exit Hwy. 11 West. Turn left on to Hwy 11 West and proceed to Hwy. 51. Take a right onto Hwy. 51 (Center Ave.) and continue until you reach Kellogg Ave. Turn left (west) onto Kellogg and continue for about 1 mile. The campus is on the left (south) side of Kellogg Ave.

Area Information

Full Faculty and Staff Directory

Dean's Office

Tricia Clasen, Ph.D., Interim Dean, College of Integrated Studies

Campus Administration and Student Affairs

The Campus Administrator's office manages all campus matters.

Kristin Fillhouer, Associate Dean of Administration and Student Affairs, Campus Administrator 

Tanja Anderson, Campus Administrative Specialist

Department of Integrated Studies

Edward Stredulinsky , Ph.D., Interim Department Chair

Solution Center

The Solution Center can help with questions you may have about:

  • admissions and enrollment
  • financial aid
  • records and registration
  • academic advising
  • placement testing
  • student orientation
  • student leadership and governance
  • student activities
  • accessibility services
  • student life
  • student development initiatives

Kristin Fillhouer, Associate Dean of Administration and Student Affairs, Campus Administrator

Continuing Education

Continuing Education programs meet the needs of local residents and businesses for professional development and personal enrichment through a variety of non-credit courses, seminars and workshops. Programs are designed for students of all ages. More information can be found our Continuing Education webpage.

John Fons, Director of Continuing Education Services
Continuing Education page

Molly Cook, Program Manager of Continuing Education; Rock County campus


The goal of the UW-Whitewater at Rock County library is to facilitate success by providing access to information resources and professional assistance in finding and using them. The library is available for public use.

Paul Waelchli, University Library Director

Beth Webb, Academic Librarian, Rock County campus
Julie Orvis, Library Services Assistant, Rock County campus
Beth Thiel, Library Services Assistant, Rock County campus


University Marketing and Communications collaborates with Rock County campus administrators to oversee public relations, media relations, social media and campus photography. UMC is happy to help with your marketing and communication efforts.

For marketing, advertising and design assistance, please contact Nadia Bidwell at bidwelln@uww.edu or 472-1200. For any project, please fill out our project request form.

Mission Statement

The College of Integrated Studies is committed to its students and their success. The College seeks to provide an excellent education that is affordable, accessible, transferable, and leads to completion of a baccalaureate degree. Furthermore, the College encourages and supports the personal growth students need as members of a global community and the professional growth they need for successful careers in a global economy.

The College of Integrated Studies is dedicated to a robust, comprehensive general education curriculum grounded in the liberal arts. The College offers additional opportunities for student learning through collaborative degree programs with other colleges and universities.   The College of Integrated Studies employs highly-qualified faculty and staff who are focused on student learning and academic inquiry. The College's faculty and staff work closely together across academic fields in an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning.   The College of Integrated Studies supports the mission and goals of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and strives to advance the Wisconsin Idea by bringing the resources of the University to the people and communities in and around Rock County.  

Parent Resources

Parents often have questions about their student's academic program and progress. This guide includes answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. We hope it will be helpful to you as you support your son or daughter attending UWW Rock County.

College is a time of tremendous growth for students. At UWW Rock County, student responsibility is an important value. We treat your children as adults. This can be challenging for them, for you and for us, at times. We don't rush in to solve students' problems, but we do give them appropriate support as they develop skills necessary to becoming effective problem-solvers. We have high expectations for our students. We also honor your investment in your student's educational success at UWW Rock County. Your support is appropriate and necessary for that success. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to call the Solution Center any time at 608-758-6541.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I receive a copy of my student's grades?

Student grades are not mailed. A student can check his or her grades through the online WINS system. FERPA prohibits sharing academic information without a student's consent. Students can fill out and sign FERPA forms and bring them to the Solution Center in Hyatt Smith Hall to allow someone else access to their student information. Each UWW department requires their own FERPA form to be filled out and signed to release information. FERPA release forms are available for  Financial Services, Financial Aid, Registrar's Office and HawkCard Office.

Where can my student get information?

Encourage your student to read their UWW Rock County e-mail as much important information is sent through the campus e-mail system. We hope your student will ask questions of everyone on campus. People resources abound at UWW Rock County. The Solution Center, located in Hyatt Smith Hall, is always a good place to turn to with any questions you may have. Students will be able to search for courses by using the WINS Guest Course Search feature. Additional information about classes can be found on the Registrar's Schedule of Classes webpage. University Policies and Resources can be found on the University Policies and Resource Handbook webpage.

Am I a "helicopter parent'?

This is a term college administrators around the country have been using to describe baby-boomer parents who are overly involved and who 'hover" over their college students. Some of these parents even write their students' papers, wake them up for class, complain to professors about their child's grades and even pick their kid's classes for him or her. Parents need to determine an appropriate level of involvement that doesn't foster dependency, which will prevent their child from becoming a responsible, self-sufficient adult.

How can I help my child transition to college life?

It's important for students living at home to get involved in campus activities. They may get more out of the college experience if they study on campus, join a club, get involved in student government or play sports. This will help them to meet new friends, get to know the staff and faculty and take advantage of opportunities for leadership roles at UWW Rock County and at other colleges should they transfer. Encourage your child to get involved and understand his or her schedule may be varied with these new roles.

What if my student is experiencing personal or family difficulties that are affecting his/her academic performance?

Unfortunately, personal difficulties happen. If your student is having personal or family problems, please urge him or her to contact of the Solution Center at 608-758-6541. Professional mental health counseling is available at no cost to students through the Solution Center.

What do you do for students with physical or learning disabilities?

Accommodations vary greatly with the needs of each student, but include extended time for tests, note taking, seating adjustments, room changes and tutoring. Ali Potratz, the campus contact for student accessibility services in the Solution Center can discuss options and plans. Call 608-758-6541 to make an appointment.

If I have questions or concerns about my student's academic program or progress, is it appropriate to call the college?

Yes, it is appropriate. We do believe that your most important source of information about your student's progress is your student and we hope that you will foster open and honest communication with your son or daughter about his/her academic work. If you would like to talk with someone at the college about your student's academic situation, feel free to call the student's advisor or the Solution Center office. Again, the information we can provide without the student's written permission is limited, but if you have concerns we may contact the student and/or instructors to see if additional assistance or advising may be needed.

What is my student expected to take the first semester?

The normal course load for most full-time students is 15 credits. Typically, students eligible to be covered under their parents' health insurance policies must take at least 12 credits to be considered a full-time student. A student's first semester typically consists of 12 to 15 credits, usually from two or three general education courses plus two or three courses from an academic area of interest. Your student may also be enrolled in a LEC 100 Freshman Seminar course designed to help new students adjust to academic and social changes from high school.

Will my student's credits transfer?

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Rock County is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the same agency that accredits most American universities. Courses and credits transfer easily to UW System campuses as well as to other private and public colleges and universities, with the exception of several remedial courses, which do not carry degree credit. Your student will want to check the online  Transferology Lab or ask their advisor to see just what program requirements will be met by specific transfer courses.

What are the requirements to transfer to a four-year institution?

Requirements for transfer may vary slightly from one university to another, but most will require a minimum of 12 transferable credits and a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.Your student may want to look into the  Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program. A student who begins his or her education as a freshman at UWW Rock County can be guaranteed admission to any four-year University of Wisconsin campus by participating in this program. After fulfilling certain credit and grade point requirements (60 credits and a 2.0 GPA for most campuses), the student will transfer as a junior with the same rights and privileges as those who begin their education at the four-year institutions.

What are UWW Rock County's graduation requirements for an associate degree?

Earning the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree requires completing a minimum of 60 credits. Students who earn the degree will automatically meet the general education requirements at University of Wisconsin institutions and will be admitted as juniors when they transfer.The degree requires completion of courses in English composition and math as well as course in the breadth categories of fine arts, humanities, natural sciences and social science.
Your student should rely on the UW-Whitewater schedule of classes for specific major requirements, course prerequisites and other academic policies.

Who will help my student decide on classes and plan his/her schedule?

During the summer, your student will have the opportunity to register for classes with an advisor. Your student will sign up for an advising session when he or she is on campus for the Student Orientation and Academic Registration (SOAR). Academic planning for the first semester and beyond is a process between the student and the advisor. Both the advisor and the student should expect and have responsibility for creating a productive advising relationship.

Who is responsible for ensuring that my student attends class?

Students must take responsibility for their own academic success and the consequences of their performance. Students cannot learn if they are not in class. Attendance policies are set individually by the instructors.

If my student experiences academic difficulty where should he or she turn?

We strongly encourage students to talk with their instructors outside of class if they are experiencing difficulty. This usually requires a change in thinking and habit, since many students did not seek out their teachers in high school. Faculty members are their best resource. We also urge students to contact their advisor for support and counsel. Most academic problems can be resolved if students seek help in a timely way.The Learning Support Center (LSC) on campus offers free tutoring to any student and can help with other issues such as time management and tips for working with faculty. Some students are also eligible for the federally funded TRIO program, which provides additional academic support to the students served by the program.

My student never had to study in high school and I worry that he or she hasn't developed college-level study skills. Any advice?

Your student may make the necessary adjustments with no difficulty, but if you sense that is not the case, encourage your student to talk with his or her advisor.Realistic expectations help. We expect students to study at least three hours outside of class for every hour they are in class.

Will someone contact me if my student is experiencing academic difficulty?

No, we will contact your student directly. All students admitted to UWW Rock County have the ability to succeed and to graduate. When students begin to struggle academically, the reasons are as diverse as the students. We do everything we can to help students identify problems, accept responsibility and subsequently solve their problems. Resolving their own difficulties is an important skill for students to develop as they grow into adulthood. However, if you have a particular concern about your student, we do welcome your call.The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Unless we have written permission from the student, only a limited amount of information can be released to the parents.

Current Events

Campus Location

2909 Kellogg Avenue
Janesville, WI 53546

Admissions Office

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Roseman Building 2060 
800 West Main Street
Whitewater, WI 53190-1791

Follow us

Facebook  Twitter