Hire a Student
Develop a Job Description
Departments are highly encouraged to develop a job description for all student positions. A well-written job description helps the manager recruit qualified applicants and helps the student clearly understand what is expected of them. Once developed, it is the department's responsibility to keep record of these job descriptions.
Items to include in a job description:
- Position title
- Name of department
- Name and title of supervisor
- Qualifications or requirements (this may include prior experience preferred, courses taken that will qualify an individual for a specific job, knowledge/skills needed, minimum grade point average, etc.)
- Start and end dates for the role
- Number of work hours per week (include specific days and hours needed if applicable)
- Wage classification and rate of pay
- Application deadline and procedure
Job Roles and Expectations: All student employment positions should have up-to-date job descriptions that accurately describe the expectations and role of each student employee. It is the manager's responsibility to ensure that job descriptions are developed and that each student employee is informed of his/her responsibilities and expectations.
Handshake is UW-Whitewater's online job board for students. As such, Handshake serves as the sole centralized listing of student employment opportunities, thereby creating a fair method for students to become aware of opportunities to work on campus. To post an on-campus job, please contact Kim Apel in Career & Leadership Development at email@example.com or 262-472-1472 for instructions to create a Handshake account and post a job.
Support from Career & Leadership Development
Staff members in the Career & Leadership Development department administer the Handshake program and are available to assist you as needed. Anyone needing assistance should call (262) 472-1472 or email Career@uww.edu.