Excess Credits Surcharge

Excess Credits Surcharge

Ask a complete question, like "How do I obtain my transcripts?"

university of wisconsin system excess credits policy

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Excess Credits Policy requires that resident undergraduate students who earn more than 165 credits toward their first undergraduate degree pay a surcharge for all credits beyond 165. The surcharge will approximately double the tuition that resident undergraduates pay and will be applied to students in the term following the one in which they reached the earned credit limit.

The Excess Credits Policy covers all earned credits from UW-Whitewater as well as earned credits from other UW System schools or Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) schools that are accepted toward the first baccalaureate degree. Credits transferred from other colleges outside the UW System or the WTCS do not count toward the 165 credit limit. In addition, advanced placement, retroactive credits, credits by examination, and remedial credits do not count toward this limit.

A student may appeal for an exception to this policy only after the student has earned a minimum of 145 credits, not including credits in progress.  The student should submit the appeal packet, including the Excess Credit Appeal Form and a personal statement, to the Registrar's Office no later than 30 days before the start of the term in which the Excess Credits surcharge will be billed.  See the Excess Credit Appeal Form of our Forms page for additional information.

Students who have questions about the policy should contact their college advisor.


Contact Us

Registrar's Office
Roseman Hall, Room 2032
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
800 West Main St.
Whitewater, WI 53190-1790

Phone 262-472-1570
Fax 262-472-1370
Email Us

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
7:45 - 4:30