The Sustainability Council initially formed as the Climate Commitment Committee (CCC) in response to Chancellor Saunders signing the American College and University President's Climate Commitment. The goal of this committee was to respond to the requirements of this Commitment by conducting a greenhouse gas inventory and writing a Climate Action Plan.
It soon became apparent that the scope of the CCC was too narrow to address campus sustainability issues as a whole. Chancellor Telfer created the Sustainability Council, which is comprised of a mixture of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to advancing sustainability initiatives on campus related to academics and operations. The membership of the Sustainability Council includes:
- Josh Mabie (faculty co-chair) - Department of English
- Greg Swanson (staff co-chair) - Facilities Planning & Management
- Bob Barry - University Center
- Frank Bartlett - University Housing
- Eric Compas - Department of Geography/Geology
- Wesley Enterline - Facilities Planning & Management
- Paul House - Department of Chemistry
- Edward Gimbel - Department of Political Science
- JoAnn Oravec - Department of Information Technology and Business Education
- Ann Rakowiecki - Chartwells
- One student senator from Whitewater Student Government
- Student Sustainability Director from Whitewater Student Government
- One student representative from Students Allied for a Greener Earth (SAGE)
- Student Sustainability Coordinator - University Housing
Meetings are currently held monthly. No meetings are scheduled at this time.
Current initiatives include pursuing AASHE STARS certification and administering the Student Sustainability Fund.
Past Meeting Minutes