1098-T Tax Information
What is a 1098-T?
The IRS Form 1098-T contains important tax information regarding qualified tuition and related educational expenses. This form is used to assist students and families in determining if they qualify for an educational tax credit. Please refer to the IRS Publication 970, which provides information about the various benefits and qualification requirements. If you are eligible to claim education-related tax credits, this form is needed when completing your income tax return. Educational institutions are required to report amounts annually to the IRS.
Obtaining your 1098-T Information
The IRS Form 1098-T will be available at the end of January, and an email communication from Student Financial Services will be sent to notify students when this document is available in WINS.
- Electronically - Students may choose to access their IRS Form 1098-T electronically instead of waiting for it to be printed and delivered in the mail. To access, log on to your WINS account, select Student Financial Account and then View 1098-T to access. When accessing for the first time, you will Grant Consent, which will remain in effect through your academic career with UW-Whitewater. You will no longer receive paper copies of your 1098-T documents with a completed consent.
- Note - The View 1098-T WINS option is not viewable on a mobile phone, and should be accessed via a computer or laptop.
- US Mail - If electronic access consent was not been granted, the University will mail you an IRS Form 1098-T at the end of January.
- Note - If you completed 1098-T consent on a prior year, you will not receive a mailed paper copy. You will need to access the 1098-T within your WINS account to view and print the form.
Accessing Prior Tax Forms
- Active Students - Tax year 2019 and forward 1098-T documents are available in WINS. To access, log on to your WINS account, select Student Financial Account and then View 1098-T to access.
- Non-Active Students - WINS passwords lapse without use, but can be reactivated. Contact the ITS Help Desk (262-472-4357) to reset your password, and regain access to WINS.
- 2018 and Prior Tax Year - Contact Student Financial Services at email@example.com or call 262-472-1373.
Payments on Charges Reported on 1098-T Form
|Meal and Dining Charges
|Online Course Fee
|Late Fees and Fines
If you have questions about the information reported on your 1098-T, contact the Student Financial Services office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 262-472-1373. If you have other questions, please contact the IRS or speak with a tax professional.