Financial Aid
Image: Decorative image of flowers on campus


Grants are a form of gift aid, which is aid that does not need to be repaid.  Eligibility requirements for the various grant programs are listed below.

Types of Grants

Advanced Opportunity Grant (AOP)

The Advanced Opportunity Grant is awarded to graduate students that are members of traditionally underrepresented minority groups (African American, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native or statutorily designated Southeast Asian) or non-minority, financially disadvantaged students. Both Wisconsin residents and non-residents are eligible. Full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible to apply. The Advanced Opportunity Grant Program has served approximately 40 students annually. Questions? Contact

Children of Fallen Heroes

Under this scholarship, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.  To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC, and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death. In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.   Students who think they qualify for this Scholarship should contact the Financial Aid Office. 

Federal Indian Grant

Students of Native American heritage may be eligible for an education grant or scholarship from their tribe.  The grant is awarded by the tribe based upon information provided by the Financial Aid Office.  The amount of the grant varies by tribe.  In order to apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit the tribal application form to the Financial Aid Office.  Students who need assistance determining their tribal heritage should contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's degree.  To determine a student's eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant, the Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information the student supplies on the FAFSA. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which indicates whether or not the student is eligible for a Pell Grant. The amount of the Pell Grant is subject to change based on verification of FAFSA data and changes in enrollment. Depending upon their EFC, students may be eligible for a Pell Grant at less than half time enrollment. The Financial Aid Office must verify the student attended all courses for which a Pell Grant is received and the Pell Grant will be adjusted for lack of attendance. In some cases, the Pell Grant may be available for summer term, even if a student attended full time during the academic year. The Pell Grant is limited to 12 semesters of full time awards.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is awarded to Pell Grant eligible undergraduate students with exceptional need, based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  Students must be enrolled at least half time to be considered for FSEOG.  Eligibility is also based on availability of funds which is limited.  The maximum FSEOG awarded during an academic year is $600.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Consistent with provisions added to the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (the HEA), by the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Public Law 110-315, under certain conditions an otherwise eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of U.S. military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may receive increased amounts of Title IV student financial assistance. Students are eligible for increased aid under these provisions if the student was 23 years of age or younger when the parent or guardian died or, if the student was over age 23, he or she was enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent or guardian’s death.

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant

This grant provides funds to undergraduate minority students who are at least sophomore status. Applicants must be African-American, Latino, Native American or Southeast Asian students. Southeast Asian students must be of Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian or Hmong heritage. Students must file a FAFSA so financial need can be determined.

Qualifying minorities must be U.S. citizens and Wisconsin residents who are enrolled full time and making satisfactory academic progress. Students who demonstrate financial need must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better.  This grant is limited to 8 semesters and provides between $1500-$2500, depending on the applicant's grade point average. 

Contact the Lawton Grant Coordinator at, (262)472-4656 or stop by 107 McCutchan Hall for applications and/or information.

Non-Resident Grant

These grants are available to out-of-state (excluding Minnesota) students enrolled full-time who demonstrate need. Continuing students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better. These awards cover part of non-resident tuition expenses.  Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority date to be considered for this grant as there are limited funds available.

Talent Incentive Program Grant (TIP)

The Talent Incentive Program Grant is administered by the Department of Public Instruction's Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program. The purpose of TIP is to provide supplemental grant awards to extremely needy students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Students must be nominated for this grant as a freshman.  In order to receive the award in future terms, students must remain continuously enrolled at at least half time status.  Awards are limited to 10 semesters.  Visit the  WEOP website for application information.

Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)

This grant is awarded to Wisconsin residents who do not receive a Wisconsin Higher Education Grant.  Students must have an unmet financial need to qualify for this grant and must be enrolled at least half time.  Eligibility is also based on availability of funds which is limited.

Wisconsin Grant for Study Abroad

There is a limited amount of funding for study abroad grants. These grants are intended to increase the number of UW System students studying abroad. Grants will be provided for only those experiences that grant credit regardless of program length. A recipient must be a resident undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a bachelor's degree who has earned at least 24 credits. The student must demonstrate financial need. Priority is given to students studying abroad for an entire semester.  Contact the Center for Global Education, Hyland Hall Suite 1227, 262-472-5759 or, for applications and information.

Wisconsin Hearing/Visually Handicapped Grant

These grants provide assistance to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually impaired. To qualify, such students need to demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board. Contact ShariLynn DuClos for more information.

Wisconsin Grant

The Wisconsin Grant is a state funded grant available to undergraduate Wisconsin residents who demonstrate financial need. Students must be enrolled at least half time.  Awards amounts are determined by a state formula which is revised annually.  Awards are limited to 10 semesters.

Wisconsin Indian Student Assistance Program

The Indian Student Assistance Program grants are available to Native Americans who are Wisconsin residents, demonstrate financial need, and are at least 25% Native American. Applications are available from the Higher Educational Aids Board.  Awards are limited to 10 semesters.  Contact Ben Dobner in the Financial Aid Office for more information.


Financial Aid Office
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
130 Hyer Hall
800 West Main Street
Whitewater, WI 53190

Contact Us

Phone: (262) 472-1130
Fax: (262) 472-5655
Email us!
Meet the Staff

Office Hours

Lobby Open: 
Mon-Fri: 8 AM - 4:00 PM
Phones Answered:
Mon-Fri: 8 AM - 4:30 PM 

Walk-in Advising

Mon, Tues, & Wed: 9 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 12:30 PM - 4 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 12:30 PM