Process for Handling Data Related to a Campus Official’s Departure
Last updated 10/4/2021
This process is intended to serve as a guide for handling the tasks that must be accomplished to preserve information and provide continuity when a Campus Official, i.e. Cabinet member, leaves his/her position.
Campus Official Data Handling
- Direction should be obtained from Provost or Vice Chancellor of Administrative Affairs as appropriate (or Chancellor if Provost or VC of Admin Affairs is leaving) to determine who should be granted permissions to mailbox, computer and G: drive storage.
- An out-of-office reply should be applied to the email account indicating that the individual is no longer on campus / in the same position. The exact text of the auto-reply should be approved by the executive identified in #1.
- Permissions should be granted and access provided according to direction under step #1. This may involve granting G: drive or mailbox permissions, and may also involve assisting users in gaining access to the information through workstation configuration settings.
- Archives of email, G: drive contents and workstation should be made and recorded on a network drive accessible to UW-Whitewater Head of Archives.
- Head of Archives will transfer the data to an external storage device. ICIT will remove the information from the network drive.
- Head of Archives will review State and UW-System records retention policies to determine an appropriate retention period for the information that may be contained in the archives, and will mark the external storage devices with a “retain until” date. Archiving will retain control of the external storage device.