ICIT - Employee Off Boarding
This process must start immediately upon notification of an employee’s intent to leave the current position.
Step 1: Supervisor to notify offices
- Supervisor to inform Dean, Department Head or Designee as appropriate.
- Supervisor to notify the registrar and HR offices of employee departure.
Step 2: Supervisor submits helpdesk ticket
Supervisor to submit the ticket to the helpdesk to notify ICIT of the Employee's departure. Please include the following information in your ticket:
Link to helpdesk ticket entry
- Supervisor Name
- Employee Name
- Departure Type (Good Standing, Termination for Cause, Role Change)
- Expected Last Day on Campus
- Date ICIT should pick up equipment
Step 3: ICIT to provide information to supervisor
- ICIT to provide a list of employee's assigned equipment
- ICIT to confirm/schedule equipment pick-up date
- ICIT to provide a list of employee's current access
Step 4: Supervisor to complete access management
- Calendar management. The Supervisor will identify all shared accounts and rights used by the employee to manage calendars and must assure that the duties were transferred to another employee upon removal of the former employee’s access.
- Local user accounts and privileged accounts. The Supervisor will identify all locally-managed privileged accounts, as well as other local accounts, that were used by the employee, and will assure the duties were transferred to another employee in the department upon removal of the former employee’s access.
Step 5: Supervisor to complete data preservation
- Identify all systems and applications such as Google Docs, OneDrive, and Qualtrics where employees could have stored institutional or departmental data under their user account, and request employees to transfer the data to enable access by others.
- If an employee is separating from the university, the supervisor may request access to the employee’s G: drive and email folders with approval from Human Resources & Diversity.
Step 6: Supervisor to complete asset management
- Collect all portable IT assets (laptop, tablet, phone, MFA fob) and confirm the location of stationary IT assets (desktop computers, printers) for ICIT pickup date.
- Confirm all institutional assets have been returned
STEP 7: Supervisor to complete Employee Checkout Form
Fill out the following form to confirm your completion of the above steps for our records:
STEP 8: ICIT to remove employee access upon departure
On the employee’s last day of the current job ICIT will remove all access to the employee’s account (if applicable):
- Access to High-Risk Data (such as social security numbers)
- Shared Email (Full Access/Send-as)
- Shared Document Storage Folders (such as T: drive)
- Email Distribution Lists · Blogs and Spaces
- CMS (Ingeniux) and Master Calendar
- Campus Web Applications Access (such as HR Change of Status, FP&M Key Requests)
- Privileged account access to other systems and applications that use university-level authorization
- Local account access
Step 9: Access provisioning for employee’s new role
If the individual is maintaining affiliation with UW-Whitewater and is simply changing roles or departments, etc. the Supervisor for the new role will submit the access request form which indicates the new level of access requested. The Help Desk will grant or remove the individual’s access to resources as well as to the individual’s data to the Supervisor as specified. Once the access requests are completed, the Help Desk will notify the individual and the Supervisor.