University Health and Counseling Services
Ambrose Center

Sexual Assault and Harassment

Counseling Services

Sexual assault and harassment is a silent epidemic in our society. 

  • 1 out of every 6 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
  • 1 out of every 33 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.

No one is immune. Regardless of gender, race or education level, anyone can be a victim. Many of us have been affected by sexual assault or harassment. There is help available if you, or a friend, has experienced sexual assault or harassment.

The counseling center provides free services to UW-W students. During the academic year, a professional advocate is available to discuss concerns about dating violence, sexual assault, and/or stalking. To make an appointment or to find out more, you can call 472-1305. Both of these resources are free and confidential. For more information about resources that are available to you at UW-W, please visit our Sexual Misconduct site.

  • Sexual assault is any kind of sex without consent. Consent includes words or overt actions by a person who is competent to give informed consent indicating a freely given agreement to have sexual contact or intercourse. A person who is unconscious, sufficiently drunk or drugged is not able to give consent.
  • Sexual assault is incredibly common. On average, 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States. 
  • If you are sexually assaulted, please remember that it is not your fault. Here are some steps that you can choose to take:
    • Find a safe place. Call 911 if you have life threatening injuries.
    • Seek support from trusted family, friends, or a Sexual Assault Advocate (262-472-1060).
    • Seek medical attention for injuries, sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy prevention. Free forensic exams are done at the hospital to preserve evidence, even if you are not sure you want to report the assault.
    • Contact the police if you want to report on crime. If the assault occurred on campus, call University Police. If the assault occurred somewhere else, call the local police where the assault occurred.
    • If you want to file a misconduct complaint, contact the Office of Student Life if the perpetrator is a UWW student (or if you want to change classes) or if the perpetrator is a faculty or staff member, call Human Resources.
    • If you live in a residence hall you may contact your RA or Hall Director to change rooms.
    • Seek professional counseling (free at UHCS).
  • Know your rights! As a student, you have the right to: notify law enforcement, seek confidential support, be notified of counseling services, options for changing academic situations, options for changing your living situation in the residence halls, have others present at campus disciplinary hearings, and be informed of the outcome of the hearing.
  • Consequences of sexual assault are severe. The legal consequences of sexual assault can result in up to a 60 year imprisonment. Make sure to obtain consent every time you have sex!

The WCADV/WCASA LGBTQ Resource Library provides an overview of resources that are available to LGBTQ survivors of intimate partner violence and sexual assault.


All information on this website is written by UHCS professional staff unless otherwise noted. No data is collected on visitors to this site. Financial Support for this web site is provided by University Health & Counseling Service, Division of Student Affairs, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. This web site does not accept advertising.

This site is not meant to replace the advice of a health care or counseling professional. You should not rely on any information on these pages, or information generated for you by this site, to replace consultations with qualified professionals regarding your own specific situation. Some links take you to a source outside of UHCS. The owners of that site, not UHCS, are responsible for the content.