Advising Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find my advisor?

You can check on WINS in the Academics section for the name and e-mail address of your advisor. If you have not been assigned an advisor, contact the appropriate advising or departmental office:

  • Students with fewer than 24 units (except art, theatre, and music majors) and Undeclared undergraduates: contact the Academic Advising & Exploration Center
  • All Arts Majors: contact the Department Office of your major
  • Students with 24 or more units who have declared majors in Communications, Education and Letters and Sciences: contact the Department of your major.
  • Pre-Business (except freshmen): Assistant Dean's Office, College of Business and Economics

How do I get my advising report?

An up-to-date Advising Report (AR) is available on WINS for students seeking their first degree. Select "Degree Progress Report" under the "other academic" drop down list. Note: AR's are not available for Special Students or Graduate Students.

The AR has two sections: 1) a transcript and 2) a degree audit which matches your courses to the requirements for your academic program. You should review this regularly, and always take an updated AR when you meet with your advisor.

How do I change a major or minor?

Students with fewer than 24 units (except art, theatre, and music majors) and undeclared students process major changes at the Academic Advising & Exploration Center.

Students with 24 Units or more (declared majors) and all Arts Majors should begin the process at the department office of their major and then take the form and advising file (if available) to the department office of the new major. (Note: the AAEC is the department office for Undeclared students).

Pre-Business students, except freshmen, start at the Assistant Dean's Office in the College of Business and Economics (Hyland 4300).

When can I register?

The first few weeks of registration are "Priority Registration" in which students are assigned Registration Start times according to their number of earned credits. After Priority Registration is completed, the registration system will remain open to add classes until the end of the fifth day of class.

To find your Priority Registration start time, check WINS in the Academics section. (Note: Registration is not limited by the "end" time.)

What is a registration hold?

A registration hold is any restriction that prevents registration. Many students will have a registration hold for advising and must meet with their academic advisor before registering.

However, there are many holds that could prevent registration: financial holds, library holds, holds from Admissions for ACT scores or transfer transcripts.

You should check WINS in your Personal Portfolio to be certain that you have cleared all holds for registration.

What is the "satisfactory/no credit" option

You may choose to take up to 15 credits for S/NC. A grade of "S" indicates a "C" or better in the class. You will receive a grade of "NC" (no credit) if the work is equivalent to a D or F. In neither case will your grade affect your GPA. You cannot take a course for S/NC if the course is used for your major or minor or is a GENED Core course. (A few courses are only offered as S/NC)

The decision to take a course for S/NC must be recorded by the tenth day of class for full-term courses and by the end of the second day of class for short courses. You can select the S/NC option when you register for the course (see the Undergraduate Catalog for the complete policy statement). It would be best to consult your advisor before selecting the S/NC option.

Are there services for Multicultural and Disadvantaged Students?

Although various units throughout the campus provide services for these populations, many of the targeted services for these students are offered in the Division of Academic Support Services (DASS). The division's motto is "serving students with potential; challenging students who are academically talented." Please access the website of DASS at

What happens if I am placed on probation or am academically dismissed?

Students who are on probation or dismissed should review campus policies and deadlines at the Academic Standards website. Questions or appeals should be directed to

Students should also work with their academic advisor to understand ways of improving their academic progress.