Custodian (USTE) -11544
UW-WHITEWATER CONTINUALLY ACCEPTS UNIVERSITY STAFF TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT (USTE) APPLICATIONS.
Full-time students may not be eligible for University Staff Temporary Employment.
Per Wisconsin State Statute, USTE's must be residents of Wisconsin. Residents of other states may not be hires as an USTE.
CUSTODIAN: Positions are full-time and part-time with various shift schedules.
This position is responsible for housekeeping duties in assigned areas of UW-Whitewater buildings and maintaining these areas in a safe and sanitary condition.
This position reports to Custodial Supervisor and works under the guidance of a Custodian Lead. All duties are to be performed in accordance with organizational beliefs and values. Regular attendance is an essential function of the job.
This position is designated at Level 1 for risk of exposure to blood borne pathogens. All established safety rules and regulations must be followed and personal protective equipment must be worn when performing job duties requiring their use.
The salary for these positions is $11.52 per hour.
General Outline of Major Duties & Responsibilities:
A. Routine daily maintenance of resident buildings, academic buildings, and administrative areas:
B. Performance of Related Duties
- Clean restrooms, shower, locker rooms and common areas.
- Empty wastebaskets and remove trash from buildings.
- Replenish supplies as necessary.
- Vacuum and spot-clean carpet.
- Sweep and/or dust mop floors.
- Wet mop or machine scrub floors.
- Clean hallways, stairwells, and drinking fountains.
- Maintain exterior spaces; entryways, walk off mats, ash urns and recycling centers.
- Wash walls, ceilings, inside windows, and entrance glass.
- Replace bulbs, clean light fixtures, replace diffusers.
- Clean classrooms, whiteboards, trays, erasers, etc.
- Clean and dust office areas.
- Open and secure buildings/rooms as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
C. Team Participation
- Clean and maintain equipment and storage areas.
- Report needed maintenance or repairs via work request.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies, etc. as required.
- Inspect exterior building entrances for trash and dispose of appropriately.
- Provide snow removal from building entrances, surrounding sidewalks, and recycling areas. Salt areas as needed.
- Strip and refinish floor surfaces as needed.
- Shampoo all carpeted areas and clean entry mats.
- Drive University vehicles if authorized.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS:Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Function as member of a team in special custodial projects.
- Function as a team member in problem solving for custodial and other areas.
- Assist other department/employees as required.
- Perform set-up and tear-down involving movement of equipment and workshops, sports events, etc.
- Clean areas between events.
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers, staff, and students.
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Independently organize and prioritize workload.
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning methods.
- Knowledge of cleaning solutions and agents.
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment and materials.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to disinfectants, cleaning solutions, dust, odors, extreme temperatures, noise, heights, and slippery surfaces.
- Ability to climb step ladder and stairs.
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is a regional comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students. UW-Whitewater has reached record enrollment four of the last five years and offers 50 majors in four colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 15 master's degree programs and recently added a Doctorate of Business Administration. UW-Whitewater students achieve excellence in the classroom and on the playing field. In the 2014-15 academic year, UW-Whitewater was the first university in NCAA history at any level to win national championships in football, basketball and baseball all in the same year. The campus offers more than 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin. UW- Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. - See more at: www.uww.edu/news
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and all veterans.
UW-Whitewater conducts criminal backgrounds checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/annual-safety-report
or call the Dean of Students office at: 262-472-1533 for a paper copy.HOW TO APPLY:
A complete application for a University Staff Temporary Employment Custodian position at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater includes the following documents:
- List of 3 professional references
Applications will remain valid for six months and may be renewed. Incomplete application materials may not receive consideration.
This Job ID is: 11544.HR CONTACT:
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
.Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs