Custodian - Multiple Vacancies - FP&M - INTERNAL POSTING
Facilities, Planning & Management
UW-Whitewater Internal Opening Only
Facilities Planning & Management is currently recruiting for multiple custodian vacancies. These positions are currently open to UW-Whitewater employees only.
This position is responsible for housekeeping duties in assigned areas of UW-Whitewater buildings and maintaining these areas in a safe and sanitary condition. This position will report to the Custodial Services Supervisor and works under the guidance of a Custodian Lead. Regular attendance is an essential function of the job. This position is designated at Level 1 for risk of exposure to blood borne pathogens. All established safety rules and regulations must be followed and personal protective equipment must be worn when performing job duties requiring their use. The incumbent will be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
75% A. Routine daily maintenance of academic buildings
15% B. Performance of Related Duties
- Clean restrooms, shower, and locker rooms.
- Clean classrooms, whiteboards and trays, erasers, etc.
- Clean and dust office areas.
- Empty wastebaskets and remove trash from buildings.
- Replenish supplies as necessary.
- Vacuum and spot-clean carpets.
- Sweep and/or dust mop floors.
- Wet mop or machine scrub floors.
- Clean hallways, stairwells, and drinking fountains.
- Clean and sweep entryways and walk off mats; empty ash urns.
- Wash walls, ceilings, inside windows, and glass building entrances.
- Replace bulbs, clean light fixtures, and replace diffusers.
- Open and secure buildings/rooms as assigned.
10% C. Team Participation
- Clean and maintain equipment and storage areas.
- Report needed maintenance or repairs to supervisor via work request.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies, etc. as required.
- Inspect exterior building entrances for trash and dispose of appropriately.
- Provide snow removal from building entrances and surrounding sidewalks.
- Strip and refinish floor surfaces as needed.
- Shampoo all carpeted areas and clean entry mats.
- Drive University vehicles if authorized.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS:Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Function as member of team in special projects (i.e. relamping, tarping floors, seasonal cleaning).
- Function as a team member in problem solving for custodial and other areas.
- Assist other department/employees as required.
- Perform set-ups and tear downs involving movement of equipment and workshops, sports events, etc.
- Clean areas between events.
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers, staff, and students.
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Independently organize and prioritize workload.
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning methods.
- Knowledge of cleaning solutions and agents.
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment and materials.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work independently.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is a regional comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students. UW-Whitewater has reached record enrollment four of the last five years and offers 50 majors in four colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 15 master's degree programs and recently added a Doctorate of Business Administration. UW-Whitewater students achieve excellence in the classroom and on the playing field. In the 2014-15 Academic Year, UW-Whitewater was the first university in NCAA history at any level to win national championships in football, basketball and baseball in a single year. The campus offers more than 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin. UW- Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. - See more at: http://www.uww.edu/news
UW-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System. Located in a community of 14,622 residents near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin, Whitewater is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago.
Qualified veterans with a 30% or more service-connected disability are eligible for non-competitive appointment to permanent positions in classified civil service under s. 230.275, WI Stats. Ask the Human Resources contact listed on any job announcement for information on how to apply under this provision. Current State of Wisconsin employees are not eligible for non-competitive appointment.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and all veterans.
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants for positions may indicate in writing that his or her identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36 (7)(a).
UW-Whitewater conducts criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.HOW TO APPLY:
Applications received by November 20, 2017 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or email@example.com
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 13692.
- Cover letter indicating shift preference(s)
- References may be requested at a later date
Who are you?
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs