Center for Students with Disabilities

Housing Requests

CSD Housing Accommodations Review Process

Requests for modifications or accommodations for Campus Housing rooms must be directed to the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD). CSD is the designated campus entity to collect and review all disability documentation as it relates to housing and academic accommodations.  CSD staff communicate with University Housing staff.

In order to receive a housing accommodation:

  1. Complete the standard application process through University Housing.
  2. Apply to CSD for services.
  3. The student must have a disability documented by a qualified professional. A prescription or brief note will not meet documentation guidelines, see UW-W documentation guidelines.

A medical condition, in itself, does not necessarily qualify a student for accommodations.

Possible accommodations/modifications include, but are not limited to:

  • Air Conditioner
  • Single Room
  • Use of own personal furniture due to a physical or health impairment

It is recommended that all requests must be made at least eight weeks prior to the start of the semester. If you do not request your residential living accommodation in a timely manner, you may experience a delay up to eight weeks to receive the requested accommodation. Refer to Campus Housing regarding room contracts and assignments.

Requests are generally denied for three reasons:

  1. Documentation does not indicate a substantial limitation to a major life activity (i.e., the student does not have a disability).  
  2. The disability-related need does not require an alteration to the living environment. For example, students with AD/HD, learning disabilities, or psychological disabilities who request a private room in order to have a quiet study area can have that need met through use of the libraries and other spaces around campus that are suitable for quiet study.
  3. A student makes a late request for a room that is no longer available. For example, University Housing has wheelchair accessible rooms; however, all rooms are assigned during the room selection process. Once the assignments are made, students are not then reassigned or denied housing to accommodate a late request. To avoid this situation, it is imperative that you contact University Housing and CSD as soon as you believe you will need a housing accommodation.  

Remember, housing assignments will be based on disability-related needs, not requests to live in a specific residence hall. Not all residence halls are able to accommodate students in the same way. If a student's top choices for residence halls are already filled or are unable to meet the student's disability-related needs, the student will be assigned to another residence hall. For instance, if a student with a mobility disorder is requesting a specific, centrally-located dorm due to mobility concerns and that dorm is either full or is not equipped with other accessible amenities, the student may be placed in a another centrally located dorm that can accommodate their needs.