Grade Change Policy

Source: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

All grade changes (including Incomplete and Progress changes) must be submitted using the online grade change or official paper Grade Change form (available at the departmental office or Registrar's Office). For security purposes, the Registrar's Office recommends the online form. However, in certain situations the official paper Grade Change form may be used. The Registrar's office can accept paper grade changes only from the faculty member in person. Paper forms must specify the reason for the change and must be signed by the department chair. If grade changes are submitted after the first five weeks of the semester* the dean must also approve the grade change.

Incomplete or Progress grade changes during the normal make-up periods do not require department chair or dean approval. However, if an extension of time has not been submitted by the faculty member prior to the deadline when the grade for an "I" or "P" is changed to an "F", both the Department Chairperson and the Dean of the College must sign the form. If an "I" or "P" has lapsed to an "F", it cannot be changed back to an "I" grade.

A terminal grade (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, U, NC, S) recorded at grade processing time cannot be changed to an "I" or "P" grade. If a re-evaluation of the student's work warrants a change, the grade should be changed to the new terminal grade through the procedure outlined above.

*Summer School is considered an extension of second semester.

As amended July 2014