Undergraduate Research Program

If you have any questions, please contact URP (urp@uww.edu) at 262-472-1296.

Guidelines For Grant Use

   • Student investigator receives no salary/wages from the project, unless in RSP, SURF, or RAP.

   • Books (no more than $100.00 per grant; special justification such as specific titles not available from the library or Interlibrary Loan system needed for larger requests), software, small equipment, and other materials purchased with grant funds belong to the University. Funds must be expended following regular University guidelines and within University's fiscal year.

   • Funds may be used for dissemination of project results including conference presentation and publication.

   • Use of human subjects or animals in the research must receive approval by the appropriate University committee. See FAQ page for specific questions regarding research subjects.

   • Projects which run beyond or span academic years require special justification.

   • For ALL purchases, taxes must be exempt.


   • All students whose projects are funded (including those with multiple authors) are expected to submit an abstract to and present their work at the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) or the University of Wisconsin Symposium on Research and Creative Activities.

   • All students whose projects are funded are expected to present their results at the annual UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Research Day Program.

   • Funded students will be asked to fill out a brief web survey.

   • Failure to satisfy these expectations, without satisfactory explanation, will result in ineligibility for undergraduate research funding for the student and mentor for one year.


There are a couple ways to get things ordered using your URP funds to purchase project supplies:

   • Specialized Order Requests:  The Undergraduate Research Program may currently have built accounts or initiate accounts with certain vendors such as Forestry Suppliers for discounted quotes.

   • Local Purchases - Last Resort:  Urgent purchases. SAVE Receipts! No guarantee of reimbursement.


You MUST contact URP (262-472-1296 or urp@uww.edu) BEFORE you travel, so that you follow the University's travel policies correctly. You will need receipts for all travel expenses, an itinerary of where you traveled and what research activities you conducted, and maps (e.g. Mapquest or Google Maps) of travel from the UWW campus if claiming mileage expenses.

   • If filing for mileage reimbursement, the driver must be authorized by the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

   • If undertaking several trips for one research project during the academic year, please submit reimburse items once a month.

   • When searching for airfare and quotes, please contact URP. Other airfare agencies are not accepted.

   • Searching for hotels, you must book through UW TravelWise website with URP assistance. Hotels for externally sponsored conferences can still be booked directly through the conference hotel or website, and with proper documentation can exceed the maximum allowable rate for the city.  The use of third party brokers, such as Expedia and Airbnb, to reserve a hotel is unacceptable; reimbursement will not be given.

   • Submission of eTER(s) items must be provided within a 60 day range after trip; delayed submissions over the 60 days after the trip may not be reimbursable - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Contact URP
  • Anderson, 2124
  • Email: urp@uww.edu
  • Phone: (262) 472-5085
Contact RAP
  • Anderson, 2124
  • Email: rap@uww.edu
  • Phone: (262) 472-1484